List cacti as either self fertile or self sterile.

Create seed of your own
Loph

List cacti as either self fertile or self sterile.

Post by Loph »

I was thinking we could make a list of things we have ourselves tried to breed and what we found.

Try to keep it to our own attempts not something we read on the net or in a book. perhaps the amount of times tried would help too?

I think this may be helpful, maybe not.

3 Lists. as people post i will edit my post to put theirs in :) keep it easy to read all in one go.

Self-fertile, Self-sterile and Hybrids (your own)

Self-fertile

Blossfeldia liliputana 'subterranea'

Epithelantha micromeris

Frailea castanea

Gymnocalycium mesopotamicum (sometimes!)

Lophophora williamsii

Mammillaria magnifica

Selenicereus spinulosus (although the fruits take an age to ripen!)

Turbinicarpus viereckii

Self-sterile

Astrophytum asterias
Astrophytum myriostigma

Lophophora diffusa
Lophophora fricii
Lophophora koehresii

HybridsFirst name male, second name female, like with animal breedings.

Lophophora fricii X Lophophora koehresii

Keep em coming, i only have a couple :(
Last edited by Loph on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
iann

Post by iann »

Probably best to assume that most are self-sterile, otherwise you're going to have a very long list :)

Self-fertile for me:
Turbinicarpus viereckii
Epithelantha micromeris
Gymnocalycium mesopotamicum (sometimes!)
--ian
Tony

Post by Tony »

I have attmpted to self both Astrophytum asterias and Astrophytum myriostigma on many occations with no luck. :(
Do you have a trick. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Loph

Post by Loph »

No, that is called WAY too much fever medicine typo lol. i meant self sterile, editing it.

i have read tat most are self sterile as well, but not all....and i am curious which ones....i would like to have a specie and look on a guide and say "OH, self-...." good to know :D
Tony

Post by Tony »

Ah, shoot, I was hoping you had a trick. Oh well, get well soon :)

Tony
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Interestingly, i have been told that astrophytum coahuilense will not cross-pollinate with A.myriostigma (which physically looks its' closest relative), or other pure yellow flowered astro(myriostigma/ornatum group) ((of course the japanese have found some way or another around this lol)), but it will cross with asterias+capricorne (red centre flower astrophytums),it possesses a reddish/orange flower centre. hence it is actually more closely related to the astrophytum asterias/capricorne group.just a thought :wink:
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

This is a really good idea, good one Loph!
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
peterb

Post by peterb »

hey all-- a quick minute on the interwebs from Texas...(foggy, rainy, cold north Texas)--

Tony linked to an extensive list giving some data on this topic, perhaps including that link again (which I can't find at the moment) would be a good idea.

Controls, while not mechanically difficult (such as wire hangers and window screen covers) are important in determining with accuracy what's self-sterile and what's not. Witness the Escobaria seed I sent out to a few list members. On Tony's list all Escobarias are down as self sterile, so at best with those we just know mom's name.

I have heard of a technique using pollen from a plant outside the cactus family to trick a flower into setting viable seed, but don't know very much about it.

anyway, great idea here, look forward to more info,

peterb
Zone 9
Tony

Post by Tony »

Yes Peter, I had posted that in this thread, but then went back and actually read the whole thing from the start and saw that loph said,
" I was thinking we could make a list of things we have ourselves tried to breed and what we found"
So I deleted it, :oops: I will start another with the link.

Tony
Loph

Post by Loph »

i think that link is a great peice of info! thanks tony! here it is again: http://lapsyserre.free.fr/psy_liste/SPSY2K4.doc

but the idea is to have us members post their own experiences.

Peter, i agree. it takes a lot of control to actually be sure you managed a hybrid or cross etc. perhaps we can also discuss our methods.

for my fricii X koehresii hybrid i used a small plastic cone like thing (like dogs have for fleas but mini scale) i placed that over the pistil cause the boys (stamen) are all anxious and fold into her when touched. this at least prevents physical "intercourse" but pollen can be carried by air. anyway i then use a small brush to rub her stigma with pollen. i left the cone on there until the flower was ready to die.

between that and the fact i ahve not been able to get any of my fricii or koehressi to self pollinate, ever, i am assuming the results were in fact hybrids.

what do you guys do to ensure the cross is "true"?
Tony

Post by Tony »

I have seen cone shaped gizmos made out of window screen mesh material that was placed over the whole plant. Looks like it would work for insects but I question how well it would work in a strong wind situation.
How easily is pollen transported by wind? :-k

Tony
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

Ask any hay-fever sufferer Tony, I am sure they will tell you it is carried very well on the wind.
Paul.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Pollen designed to be carried by the wind carries well; as far as I know, cacti rely on animal vectors. It's sticky and isn't as easily moved by the wind. My guess would be that, barring a gale, it wouldn't be carried by the wind.
iann

Post by iann »

what do you guys do to ensure the cross is "true"?
Grow it and see if you get a virtual clone of the mother, or something different.
--ian
Tony

Post by Tony »

phil_SK wrote:Pollen designed to be carried by the wind carries well; as far as I know, cacti rely on animal vectors. It's sticky and isn't as easily moved by the wind. My guess would be that, barring a gale, it wouldn't be carried by the wind.
Thats what I was thinking Phil, but didnt really know for sure.
My guess it would be almost impossible, especially if it had a screened cover over it.

Tony