Sick - Dead or Dying ?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Matthew1381

Sick - Dead or Dying ?

Post by Matthew1381 »

Hello,
I am embarrassed to post these photos !!
These are amongst the first few plants when I started and I must have done lots of things wrongly !
Anyhow am here to seek help and opinion.

Plant 1

Plant 2

I have had these plants ( dont know their names/types) for almost 4 years now - doesnt seem to be doing anything although I repotted them some months ago. Are they still alive?

Plant 3

This echinopsis is very sick. Has been turning from green to brownish/reddish along the sides and seems to be corking at the top edges as you can see from photo. What did I do wrong ? Too much water or too much sunlight or both ?
Can it be saved ?

Many thanks
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Matthew,

The first plant is Astrophytum myriostigma, the second looks like a Sclerocactus and the third as you say is Echinopsis that because of its colour is starting to look like Gymno mihanovichi.

If they were mine the first thing I would do is look at the roots to see if they are healthy. If they are dead then the body of the plant probably is as well. It is difficult to say what has happened to them, there are all sorts of possibilities.

Look at the roots and the compost to see if you can see any small white woolly areas which would indicate root mealy bug. Other possibilites are sunburn, or too much sun and not enough water or the other way round, too much water and not enough sun.

If the bodies of the plants feel solid when you give them a gentle squeeze, you may be able to slice the bottom couple of millimetres from the base of the plant and try to reroot them.

John