S. x buckleyi vs. S. russelliana

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
tinsel

Post by tinsel »

Thank You so Much, Dominique!

This is a big help, and I'm specially happy of the book tips! So, I'm looking forward to be able to read M.C.'s interesting articles quite soon.

(Ps. I was mistaken of my plant's flower petals opening/closing times this much: flowers do open for daylight, but they shut down at afternoon - and open again very late night. About the flower's colour: it's little bit bluish pink in indirect sunlight. Images were took using Neodyme incandescent lamp light and it's giving yellow tone to pink colour.)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Dominique wrote:He added that he will post a message on cactiguide as soon as the English and Spanish versions are available.
Sounds good, when he does I'll create an official link back to his site under the "Sources" page.
Dominique wrote:Christmas Cacti, the genus Schlumbergera and its hybrids by A.J.S mcMillan and J.F. Horobin, published by David Hunt and Nigel Taylor from the Royal Botanic Gardens of Kew (1995)
I have this book. I got it from a member of my local cactus club for $10. It is excellent. Many color photos and illustrations.

As best as I can tell your cultivar looks most like 'Bristol Princess' Here is the info on that one:

Group TB.6 VF. Orig.: McMillan (1973). Pedigree: 'Weihnachtsfreude' x S. bridgesii Hort. Flower color etc.: Shaded white to pale lilac-pink. Comments: RHS Award of Merit 1977. Availability: Holly Gate Nursery, Sussex, England - Rainbow Gardens, California, USA

(I'm not sure if the availability info is still valid on that one.)

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Some of the blooms on these plants are really stunning. I have never kept any of this Genus but I can understand why people do.

John
tinsel

Post by tinsel »

daiv wrote:As best as I can tell your cultivar looks most like 'Bristol Princess' Here is the info on that one:

Group TB.6 VF. Orig.: McMillan (1973). Pedigree: 'Weihnachtsfreude' x S. bridgesii Hort. Flower color etc.: Shaded white to pale lilac-pink. Comments: RHS Award of Merit 1977. Availability: Holly Gate Nursery, Sussex, England - Rainbow Gardens, California, USA

(I'm not sure if the availability info is still valid on that one.)
Thank you Daiv :)
I try to buy one of these Schlumbergera books and see the images.
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

Hi all

Newbie here, and I am still feeling my way around trying to get used to the posts and threads. I collect Schlumbergera ( about seventy named hybrids) and all epihytic cacti. On the subject of books there is also the book by Frank Supplie and Dick van der Zee. " Schlumbergera" and also by Frank Supplie " Epiphyllum". These have very little writing, and consist mainly of photographs. Unfortunately these are a bit small, but they are both crammed with photographs that may help by means of identification of these plants. :|
Kind regards
Gerhard
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

Hi all
In reply to Ken's question regarding Schlumbergera cuttings I can say the following;
Single cladophyll cuttings are normally the best.
Plant in a well aerated medium. Remember, it is epiphytic and in nature gets a lot of oxygen around the roots. There are many mixtures that can be used, and also, these plants are very forgiving, so they will tolerate a lot of mistakes. I have seen them absolutely thrive in ordinary garden soil.
Keep moist, not wet. Best is to scratch around the top of the soil, and when dry to about one third of the depth water again.
As was said in an earlier post by John, do not feed until new growth is observed.
When feeding, stay away from any feed that contains a lot of nitrogen. It can cause your plant not to flower.
They are thermo-photoperiodic. They flower with shorter days (Autumn) and when temperatures at night drop. In nature below 15C and night periods (darkness) of more than 12hrs.
Any exposure to light, at the time that budset should take place, could get the plant to think that the long day period is still on and cause it not to flower. Light as low as 5 ftcandles can cause this problem. (streetlamp, outside light etc)

I hope this could be of help. If you should require more detailed info please let me know.

Kind regards
Gerhard
Last edited by gerhard on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Congratulations Dominique for taking the time to try and help another member of the Forum. You are definitely top of my class.

John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Thank you, John, but I'm happy when I can help !
Dominique