New Books!

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
daiv
Site Admin

New Books!

Post by daiv »

You all are the few that will appreciate my exciting order that I made with Rainbow Gardens:

On the way to me are the following books:

Ariocarpus etc. -Pilbeam (2006)
Rhipsalis & Lepismium - Supplie
The Genus Turbinicarpus - Zacher (2004)
Coryphantha - Dicht (2004)
Pilosocereus - Genus in Brazil - Zappi (1994)

Anybody have these already?

Here are some others I considered, but could not get them all now.

Copiapoa - Shulz (2006)
Genera Pediocactus - Hochstatter
Melocacti of Cuba - Rigerszki (2007)
Cacti of Eastern Brazil - Taylor (2004)
Echinocereus - Blum (1998)
Turbinicarpus-Rapicactus - Donati (2005)
Genus Sclerocactus - Hochstatter (2005)
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I have Dicht and Lüthy's Coryphantha. That is a top-notch monograph.
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

I really would love some of those, the Books on Ario's, Turbs, Melos and Corys would do me for now. I seem to have this big problem where I can't stop buying plants. I wish I could then I could afford some books. :(

Can't wait for the reviews, you will be reviewing them Daiv?
Paul.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Some great reading material there Daiv!

I've got my eye on that Copiapoa book, have gotten several recently and would like to know more about them...especially why they seem to sunburn so easily...grrr. But thats probably my fault by not acclimating them slow enough :(

Paul, at the rate you're going (It's the speed of light, i know it well ;) ) give it a year and you'll have a hard time finding plants you don't already have :D
hob

Post by hob »

i have Ariocarpus etc. -Pilbeam (2006)

all Pilbeams books are good and well covered by Bill Weightmans great photographs, you will enjoy that one :D
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Both the Cory and Copiapoa books are great. I have the 1996 and 2006 Schultz books, and they have great pictures of habitat plants. Basically, he goes up the coast and shows where and what the plants looks like in habitat. So you really learn a lot. Due to its focus, they arent the best for ID your culivated plant, and does not contain a technical descritpion of each plant.

One point of his stuck with me - he says the emphasis on spine counting is misplaced - the same species can vary widely - even the same plant can have areoles with different counts. So he says he is puzzled by hobbyists use of that - I think it is natural - what else can yu use with a 3 inch nonflowering plant but ribs and spines. But his point is well taken, and makes it tough for us to ID often.

Mike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks! Great feedback for sure!
lordarutha wrote: Can't wait for the reviews, you will be reviewing them Daiv?
Yes I sure will. After they get a good looking over and I try to use them, I will add them to the "Sources" page.
xturmin8or

Post by xturmin8or »

Dude!!!!!! :thumbleft: I have had my eye on the pilo book for awhile as well as for the Rhipsalis and Lepismium book. Let us know what you think of all of them.
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!!" Patches O'Hoolihan
Adrian
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

CoronaCactus wrote:Paul, at the rate you're going (It's the speed of light, i know it well ;) ) give it a year and you'll have a hard time finding plants you don't already have :D
Oh I wish, I could have filled my little greenhouse 3 times over. I need to slow down and decide what direction to go in. :?
Paul.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

i think the best direction is a bigger greenhouse! :lol:
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

If I could have got a bigger greenhouse in my garden Lewis I would have done! :wink: The next stage is to buy a house with a bigger garden. Much Bigger :D
Paul.
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

Great Daiv! Your never gonna get out to your garden now :P
Haha Paul, just pull down a few rooms in your house, tell your wife they had rot and needed to be pulled down, and now that you have all this open space, you cant put a bigger greenhouse up!
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
Loph

Post by Loph »

sounds liek you got a lot of reading ahead of you! can i ask where you bought them? i am also interested ina few of those :)
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well I got the books last Friday actually. I've only been able to give them a quick overview, but can already tell there will be no "Buyers remorse" over the purchase. As I get more into them, I'll be posting reviews on the "Sources" page and update you guys on that.

Loph -
So sorry that I missed your question. I got them at Rainbow Gardens Bookshop:

http://www.rainbowgardensbookshop.com/

I suppose they are not the cheapest on everything, but the Barbers are the nicest people you can imagine and they have a really good selection. I am happy to support them as we cacti nuts need them to be successful!
TimN

Post by TimN »

I just met the proprietor of Rainbow Garden Books last weekend at the CACSS show/sale. The woman was very nice. They had a very nice selection of books.

That said, I think it's important to support suppliers who cater to your specific "thing", whatever that may be. I know I'll be getting more books from them.

I'm still working on the general Cacti books. I'm hoping to dig deeper into some specific genera in the future...

Tim