Trichocereus diferent graft

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Sankhara

Trichocereus diferent graft

Post by Sankhara »

Today i've grafted two lophophoras on two trichocereus as a stock.

Until now everything normal. But, since i didn´t want to put the lophophora roots on hearht to grow again, i decided o graft them on the tops of the trichocereus that i've taken to make the original graft.

Hipotesis: The graft will suceed, the plant will heal and later on i will put on hearth to at least the trichocereus part create his roots and feed the lophophora root that will create offshots.

Dear friends... is this possible? Does anyone ever tried?

I put the pictures, but they lack on details.

RegardsImage
Sou um Português como só um Cabo Verdeano e Brasileiro sabem ser.
Sankhara

Post by Sankhara »

Anyone?? Please...
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sorry, but I am not sure what you are asking.

Do you mean that after the graft takes and the plants get bigger and healthier, you want to cut them off and grow on their own roots again?

If so, yes that will work!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

No, I think he has grafted the bottoms upside down in hopes of getting many cuttings....which, theoretically, should also work.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

I've seen photos of upside down grafts, one had a stump of Pereskiopsis sticking upwards out of the scion. Offsets should form with no problems.
Loph

Post by Loph »

works good :)

here is a loph root (i cut it to makeit easier to tape) grafted to myrtle. top in back root in front.

here is a Trichocereus peruviana graft. this was a seedling pereskiopsis graft, the top and bottom (root) were grafted. you can see the top half graft in the back.

hope yours work well :) they usually do :) but your stock will often pup a lot, it helps to cut out all the areoles from the stock to concentrate energy on the scion.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
Sankhara

Post by Sankhara »

Thank you guys,

But i've made more than just graft the lophophora root. I've grafted it on the part of Trichocereus plant that i've taken off to make the normal graft.

By other words (and sorry if i can´t express myself better in English), the trichocereus part that i've taken off to make the graft, i'm using as a stock to receive the lophophora roots as a graft.

I know that sounds crazy, but. If the union heal and create a sealed path between the two, they will funcion as a normal plant after the trichocereus part create his own roots.

The question is... do you think is possible? Does anyone ever tried?

P.S. - The trichocereus part that i've use as a stock to receive the loph root is the one that we normaly take outside and repot again after acomplish the normal grafting. That is to say the upper part of the normal stock plant.
Loph

Post by Loph »

it should work ok. the only risk is that the scion (root graft) will dehydrate befoer the cutting roots....but that is not likely as Trichocereus often roots quickly.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.