Unknown Genus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Murph

Unknown Genus

Post by Murph »

Last week while i went on a cactus shopping-spree, there were quite a number of cacti labelled as something like "Parasidia"/"Parisida"/"Parasida" (or something similar, i can't remember exactly). I didnt think was strange as i was sure i had heard of this genus before.

But recently i have been searching cactus sites and google searching, and found absolutely nothing even sounding similar to "Parasidia".

Am i crazy? Were the cacti mis-labelled? Is it a species which has been re-named? It has been very frustrating. As this garden centre is quite a drive from where i live, i couldnt really be bothered wasting petrol just to confirm the name of the cactus, so i thought i would ask you guys.

As a bit of help, overall most of these cacti closely resembled Matucana paucicostata.
And no, i'm not mistaking it for "Parodia" or "Pereskia" :roll:

Weird - a Euphorbia is not a cactus, yet a Pereskia is.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hmm, I never heard of that. Might be able to identify the plant, but tracking the source of a spelling error might be a bit more difficult.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CocaNut

Post by CocaNut »

ur cacti looks very alike to mine

hmm i believe i have it IDed, tho i'm at work right now... tell me if u think they are the same
Murph

Post by Murph »

Sorry CocaNut, it isn't my cactus, i just got the image from this site.
Weird - a Euphorbia is not a cactus, yet a Pereskia is.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yeah, I lost that plant too. :(
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi, I haven't been doing too well with the ID's of late. I think the old 'mince pies' are going a bit, but it looks like a good old Gymnocalycium to me!!

John