Is this just cork?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Mike

Is this just cork?

Post by Mike »

Hi,

Pics below are of Euphorbia trigonia. It has grown wonderfully so far, but lately has developed what I assumed was cork at the bottom. I then noticed it going up the stems - round shaped about 1/4 inch in diameter. There are random markings throought the plant like this, tho most is at the bottom. The dots look a bit like scales, expecially at the top, but I didn't know if scales would infest euphorbias due to the sap. It is growing next to a red trigonia that has no cork or spots.

Is this just cork or something else? If it is cork, is that just simply aging, or does more (or less) water help.

This is a pic of the top of the tallest stem.

Thanks in advance, Mike
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

It doesn't look like scale to me and I do not think it is ageing either. This would be at the bottom of the plant. You can also discount cold 'marks' because they usually occur at the tips of the branches.

It looks like sunburn marks that have been caused by strong sun being magnified through water droplets. As you know without having the plant in front of you it is very difficult to diagnose these problems, but that is my bet anyway. The only other thing is possibly red spider mite, get a decent glass and check for the little critters.

John
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi John,

I am puzzled also. It has been in a pretty shady area even in the summer, although it gets a little direct sunlight. There were lots of webs but I saw a little spider, and could not find spider mites.

But I found some junk growing at the bottom - see next post.

Mike
Mike

Post by Mike »

Well the cork seems to be the least of the problems. Today I noticed the stem has what appears to be mildew growing on the skin - it just sort of comes off as you rub it. Some had black mildew spots. Has anyone had this before.

The plant has stayed dry during winter, tho I let it get some water this last month and it has been colder than normal. No direct sun, so maybe the dampness and lack of sun created the problem. If it survives I will have lots of new ones since I cut off the arms, which seemed ok, above the infected part (which of course was in the middle of the main stem).

Mike
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

Mildew of any kind normally points towards a poor circulation of air, i.e. a greenhouse that has been closed all winter, without any ventilation, or possibly a corner somewhere where there is little air movement. Maybe this is the problem, it certainly could be.

John
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks John,

We have an oddly shaped house and a decent size area that has 3 walls and is covered - we have used it to keep them out of the rain, but I guess that has its own problems. Mike