Last One

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Bruce

Last One

Post by Bruce »

I've got no clue at all about this one. I looks like it could be a Hoodia or Huernia - but I may not even be in the right family. The largest stem on the plant (the one pointing up to the right) is about 2" long. The flowers occur near the tips of the stems and are tiny (2mm or less) and bright yellow - you can see the tan remains of a couple at the end of the big stem. Anybody have any idea what this might be?

Thanks~
Windy
Every day, after supper, Granny walks two miles. We haven't seen her in years.
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Hoodia astonii ?
Dominique
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

If the flowers are so small and bright yellow that would suggest that it is probably a Euphorbia, maybe Suzanne? Try a little prick with a pin where it will not show and see if you get a drop of the white latex sap that is unique to Euphorbias.

Although it does have the look of a Stapeliad, I cannot recollect any with flowers that small.

John
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for the help. I think I now know what it is.

I starting by Googling your suggestions but I couldn't find anything that both looked like my plant and had a similar growth habit. I hadn't gotten to the Euphorbia sap test yet but last night I went looking thru one of my books (Succulents II - the New Illustrated Dictionary) for Euphorbias, hoping I'd see something I'd missed. Two pictures before the first Euphorbia was a picture labeled 'Echidnopsis sp.' and showing a plant that has to be a near relative of mine. I've Googled for other Echidnopsis but the one in the book is closest. So, I figure my plant is another 'Echidnopsis species' - one obviously not raised for it's flowers :wink:.

Windy
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Hello Windy,

Now that you narrowed it to echidnopsis, I found something for you :
http://www.cactus-mall.com/stapeliad/picture5.html
Dominique
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Dominique, thanks for the link. I have a couple of Dr. Barad's hybids, I think. He's got a nice site.

I just did the pin test on my plant, just to be sure, you know?. And immediately got a drop of latex. #-o And I was so sure I'd already figured it out! So John has the right of it, after all. 8) Thanks again, both of you.

Windy
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Windy,

Looking at the plant itself, my first thought would have been Echidnopsis, but your description of the flower just did not fit. This ID business a'int always easy.

I was thinking about getting Succulents II myself. What do you think of it? I have not seen the content of the book myself. I have only seen it for sale on the net.

John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

I got Succulents II a few weeks ago : same layout as the first one, about 1200 colored pictures, a checklist of alternative names... Well, I think it's worth the price.
Dominique
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Basically, I agree. If you like the first one, you'll like this one. I don't honestly know whether I would have spent the $50 list price, tho. (I got it from Amazon with a good discount.)

This is from Timber Press' website:

...It includes 900 species that were not covered in the first volume, and although it includes some species that were covered earlier, this second volume supplies new photographs that illustrate other aspects of the plant, whether in its habitat or in cultivation.

Windy