More Mammillarias

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mike

More Mammillarias

Post by Mike »

Hi,

5 Unknown Mamms, some with flowers so maybe an ID is out there.

Thanks for all your help. Mike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Second to the bottom looks like spinossisima and the bottom left looks like bombycina.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Second down = M. karwinskiana
gunhat

Post by gunhat »

Nr 1: chinocephala - now Mammillaria formosa ssp. chinocephala

http://www.mammillarias.net/gallery/vie ... ocephala_1

Is nr 2 M. perbella?
M.mestre

Post by M.mestre »

I agree with chinocephala,spinossisima and karwisiana ( may be karwisiana nejapensins(white spines) with short spines, the karwisiana ssp karwisiana has central black spines ,or hybrid )

The last one seems plumosa (left)and right isn´t bombycina ,this has hooked ,and redish spines,never brown

Just to say something may be prolifera ssp texana (there is a varitey with brown spines ,I have the one with yellow ones )

Miguel
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks much

I am on board with your IDs on the first three. On the last two, I am pretty sure the one the left is bocasena. On the right, not positive but think it is also chionocephala. I have a pup of it from another source and they are very very similar. Desert Tropical shows a form of Chionocephala 'ritteriana' apparently the Mamm. ritteriana that mseens the same except for the amount of wool. The small one could be ritteriana, or it might be they are just too young to have developed wool.

Thanks again, Mike
Mike

Post by Mike »

Whoops. I am fairly certain that my "fairly certain" ID as bocasena is wrong. The Mamm.net site says aureilanata, fa.alba, and based on the lack of any central spines, I agree. There are pics of both the aurielanat and bocasena on the Mile to go site for comparison.

Also the crested one, might be hahnina type.

Mike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Mike, I hope to get my new Mamm. book soon. It supposedly was sent yesterday from Arizona. Maybe it will be waiting for me at home! =P~ I will give these a good looking over when I get it.
M.mestre

Post by M.mestre »

This book it´s a complet guide ,,,,really interesting for mammillaria supporters :lol: :lol:

I´m sure you´ll like

Miguel
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well, I got the book! From my short preliminary scan, it looks like everything I had hoped for. I haven't had a chance to go through and work on these plants yet, but I will soon.

Miguel -Thank you very much for the recommendation!

Daiv
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ok first feedback based on the new Mammillaria book:

OK, it appears that the Mamm. book backs Gunnar's call on the top one. It is listed in the "Variations of Merit" section as Mammillaria ritteriana and says it is "A variant of M. chioncephala, with finer and longer spination."
(I kept looking on this one because your plant does not look like the M. chioncephala in the main part of the book.)

The book suggests the second one down is definately M. karwinskiana subsp. nejapensis

I think for the bottom left plant, you might look into M. albicoma - It seems to fit the desc. better.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Daiv,

Well i am glad you are having fun with the new book. I borrowed the 1981 edition from the library, but havent' seen the newer one.

I am having a very hard time distinguishing the ssp nejapensis and ssp karwinskiana, apart from the spines.

The Mamm site (and Anderson) says ssp kar has 6 spines, lower longest and upper next longest,as does mine. But the flowers are more yellowish and with a very light red brown stripe, which seems more like nejapensis flowers on that site. But then the pic in the Cactus Dictionary shows flowers on ssp kar. on p 107 as identical to mine.

To add confusion, I also have one labelled nejapensis (from Altmans, which does not show karwinsdiana on its site) that has 4 -5 spines with lowest longest by far (3 or 4 times longer than the others), which seems clearly like nej. Of course, nothing is easy, - its flower is deep red striped, which seems more like ssp. kar. on the Mamm.net site (with one exception which shows a deep red one.

i have the earlier pilbeam edition, which seems to confirm that I have 2 that don't really match either description. Wht does the new book say about the differences.

On the last one, it has no central spine, and looks more like aureilanta on the miles site, although very close.

Mike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

New book says (more or less a direct quote):

of subsp. karwinskiana = Radial spines often 6, but from 4-7, strong, the upper and lower longer, 10 to 12mm, brownish red at first, fading to greyish white. There is occasionally a similar central spine, longer, to 25mm. Flowers whitish, sometimes with a tinge of yellow and greenish throat, with purplish red midstripe, 20 to 25mm long and wide, stigmas yellow. Fruit is bright red; seed is brown.

of subsp. nejapensis = variable in spination, giving rise to two varieties at the time it was erected as a species -var brevispina and var longispina - but these merely represent variation occuring throught its range... noted for its spination, which can reach 5cm long in the best-spined plants, and its very dense axillary wool and bristles...areoles and axils with much wool and with many tortuous bristles in the axils. Spines are all radial, white with reddish brown tips, 3 to 5mm long, the lowermost the longest, to 25 or even 50mm long. Flowers are pale cream with red-brown to scarlet mid-stripe, 18mm long, 10mm wide. Fruit is bright red; seed is brown.

Does that help confuse you more?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi guys,

Well, who knows. The one above has an upper spine that is about 10 mm, which is consitent with ssp Kar, not nej. But the flower is small, and not really purplish (tho see the Cac dictionary pic) Here is the flower on the one you have seen above.
By the way, one guy on Mamm net said ssp kar. and another said "rather short spined nejapensis."

Here is the one from Home Depot as nejapensis. based on its much longer lower spines I think it is.

As to the subspecies of the first, I guess it is best to say that I have 2 karwinskianas, with different spination and flowers, and best of all, I like them both.
ondy

Post by ondy »

Well, I know I am coming in late on this one but I just wanted to say I agree with Daiv on his i.d. on the bottom left Mamm being M. albicoma.

Andy