Echino, Gymno, Noto?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
kohleung

Echino, Gymno, Noto?

Post by kohleung »

Any ideas?
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi Kohleung,

I would say:

No. 1 - Parodia schumanniana (Notocactus schumannianus)

No. 2 - Gymnocalycium horstii (?)

No. 3 - Parodia hasselbergii (Notocactus hasselbergii)

Cheers,

Eduart
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

The only one I would have doubts about Eduart is the Gymno. I can see where you are coming from. The spination is correct but the colour is wrong. Having said that I am not sure which one it is. Ritterianum, uebelmannianum and denudatum are all of that type but I am not sure any of them are correct. The colour in the spines has me puzzled.

John
kohleung

Post by kohleung »

Thanks,Eduart and John. I agree with the I.D. of parodia hasselbergii. What about Notocactus magnificus for the first one?
faslimy

Post by faslimy »

I thought N magnificus at first too, either that or a very similar looking plant I havn't heard of.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Notocactus magnificus is a possibility, but if it is it is a very young one. Some of the Parodias are almost as difficult as the Mammillaria.

I have been looking through a Gymno book and the best I can come up with is Gymnocalycium tillianum. Maybe when it flowers you will be able confirm it?

Eduart is pretty good with the ID's so I would not discount his choice for the Notocactus.

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hmm. I looked and looked on the Parodia (Noto) on the top. I couldn't figure it until I realized that you are showing the metric side of the ruler. That is about 4 cm and not 4 inches. That makes a huge difference. I can see where the P. magnifica ID is comming from now. This should be a fairly easy ID when that plant gets about three times bigger. In the right conditions that should only take about two growing seasons, I'd guess. Right now, it's a toss up on the suggested ID's in my book.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
kohleung

Post by kohleung »

I've asked a Japanese expert regarding the gymno. He's given me 3 suggestions:
1. G. altagraciense
2. G. baldianum
3. G. leptanthum
Up to this moment, I think G. baldianum should be the closest guess.