some experimental grafts

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi stanislas! This is the first post I've read from you so welcome!

Thanks for the input on this subject. Very informative!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Awesome, now im going to graft heaps of rare cacti onto O. subulata fma. monstrosus next spring and see if any go monstrose.
very informative stanislas :wink:
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Yes very interesting thoughts stanislas 8)
I have also tried several Lophophora on this same stock with no growth at all and some Astro's with minimal growth and no offsets or monstrous growth.
Not sure what I will try next but im sure I can find something :lol:
stanislas

Post by stanislas »

I bought an Opuntia subulata monstrose yesterday. I simply couldn't resist.
Now I'm figuring out which cacti I will graft to this opuntia... Has anyone ever tried to graft Pereskiopsis spp. as scion to an opuntia stock? I know this sounds strange and pointless, but in the perspective of this monstrose formation, I'm really looking forward to an monstrose Pereskiopsis :)
Last edited by stanislas on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

stanislas wrote:Has anyone ever tried to graft Pereskiopsis spp. as scion to an opuntia stock? I know this sounds rare and pointless, but in the perspective of this monstrose formation, I'm really looking forward to an monstrose Pereskiopsis :)
Haven't heard of it, but why not try?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

thats a cool idea.
i got lots of Opuntias subulata monstrose recently, so i can play around with this next spring. i put some cuttings in my propagator to see if i can keep them growing all winter like with pereskiopsis. im guessing yes. cuttings root very easily. it would be so cool if this were replicable and you could create new monstrose forms by grafting onto this stock.
experiment time!
Edwindwianto

Re: some experimental grafts

Post by Edwindwianto »

Wow...very interesting topic

This is a whole new world for me, since i've never grafted any cactus b4
But nice to know about this experiment
Thanks for sharing
stanislas wrote: Wed May 28, 2008 12:09 pm This is a very interesting issue, although I don't think it's a chimera. It's quite unlikely that the opuntia cells have traveled throughout the scion tissues (that would mean that these cells can detach and travel like a malignant tumor through the scion. Even more, manage to spread/diffuse evenly over the whole scion. As far as I understood, chimera cacti form when at the border stock/scion tissue gets mixed and forms a new growth from that point. And even then, these tend to be unstable and easily revert back to unmixed tissues.

But, nevertheless, it is very fascinating.
There are two more possibilities that can explain this phenotype:
1. A virus that causes the monstrose in the opuntia, and that has infected the scion. In that case, the growth should remain this when you degraft. You should in this case be able to provoke monstrose formation by transplanting only a small piece of tissue to other cacti.
2. It consider it also likely that the monstrose formation in this opuntia is due to hormonal abnormalities. In that case, the scion sprouts due to this altered hormone levels. I would also feel safer if this turns out to be the cause, as I would not be too keen on virus-induced malformation...

Well, that's my two cents on this topic. I must admit, I'm quite new to cacti. But as geneticist, I'm very much interested in this!

I' think I'll experiment with this as well. There is a lot to discover about stock-scion effects...
Thanks a lot for this info
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Monstrose growth is due to Phytoplasma infection (witch's broom).
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

anttisepp wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:46 am Monstrose growth is due to Phytoplasma infection (witch's broom).
Are the two one and the same? I've described various Trichocereus as having witch's broom to growers who claimed that they had rare monstrose growth that was really valuable. To be honest, though, I thought that they were two different things. I seem to remember witch's broom always been negative and having the ability to jump from plant to plant, at least in the context of softwood plants.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
KonureKing

Post by KonureKing »

Hello all I know this is an old thread but I'm very interested in the topic. Is this phytoplasma infection in O. subulata monstrose the same cause of monstrose in all other cacti? Also the thread talks about spreading the infection through grafting. But couldn't you just use a syringe to suck up a little sap from the infected plant and inject it into a new plant to create new monstrose plants? I'm also wondering if the sap injection method could be used to spread this to non cacti plants. Any experience creating monstrose would be beneficial to hear. Thanks
KonureKing

Post by KonureKing »

I wonder if this infection might also be a means of producing chimera plants. So much extreme growth might make the chances of this more likely