New to Cactus!

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
oscaroscar

New to Cactus!

Post by oscaroscar »

Hi

I am new to the cactus hobby! I live on the east coast of Australia, and I am about to start my first potted cactus garden. I was thinking of putting it in a long rectangular trough-like pot on my verandah (about 3' long). Any suggestions that anyone has for suitable plants would be very welcomed!!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Welcome to CactiGuide!

Several species of cacti can grow in Australia, but i'm sure some our resident Aussie's can better help with selection, as i'm not too sure about your exact location.
parrotsheaven

Post by parrotsheaven »

G'day Oscaroscar and welcome. I live in north/west Victoria for now. Where abouts on the east coast are you? North - South - Middle ??

If the trough is on your verandah and under cover you can virtually grow most cacti. Depends on what type you like. The spikier the better I reckon.

Being a trough you don't want ones that will grow big. What do you have? There are some nice mammillaria that don't grow too big, parodias, rebutias. Depends if you want to squeeze in a few succulents as well. Some nice little echeverias.

CP Help !!!!!!! hoping you will meet him soon as he is so much better at this than me.

Betty
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Welcome! Don't be shy and join in on any post.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti