Plant trades

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
gerhard

Plant trades

Post by gerhard »

Hi all
I am a collector of epiphytic cacti. I would like to trade cuttings / plants of epiphytic cacti for other species or hybrids that I do not have.

I can trade epiphytic cacti cuttings or succulents and cacti available in South Africa. I am currently trading cuttings/plants with people worldwide. I can trade indigenous hard to come by species of succulents and plants from South Africa as well since I can obtain them from other collectors. (Note; all are grown in collections or nurseries. No field collections.)

I have a large collection and many hybrids and some species but am looking for more. The following are my main interests. Epiphyllum, Hatiora, Rhipsalis, and Schlumbergera. Other epiphytic cacti are welcome.

Anybody who would like plants that are available in South Africa, but do not have epiphytic cacti to trade, please contact me as well. We could work around it. You may have a plant that I could in turn trade for what I collect.

Gerhard
PS. Thanks for allowing us to trade on your forums Daiv. I am sure it would be a great success and help a great deal with the distribution of plants to collectors around the globe.
hegar

Post by hegar »

I do not want to spoil anyones plant trade plans, but there are oftentimes problems when plants or other propagules are being moved from one country to another. For example, the U.S. does not allow any plants or seeds to come into the country without a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin. This can be rather expensive and is generally only worth it if trading commercially. Shipping these things within the country is no problem though and some countries may have more relaxed standards. I just wanted to let you know, so you are not surprised when the plant material does not arrive at your house.

Harald
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

Hi all

I have recently on the same subject gone into reasonably great detail on the "Epiforums". I send a lot of cuttings and material to many countries, and anybody interested in trading plants would be advised to bear in mind that there is a small chanceof loss of your consignment, due to postage or plant control regulations.

I have to date sent very many parcels overseas and my losses both ways were minimal in comparison to the quantities traded. Just keep it as small and inconspicious as possible. At a guess, my losses were less than 2%.

The decision to do this however go from collector to collector. Please do not see this as an encouragement from me to exceed the law of your country and if you do trade like this, please treat the plantmaterial with a suitable fungicide and an insect killer before shipping to ensure that there is no spreading of unwanted problems.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Gerhard,
I do not doubt your statement, that there has only been a 2% loss of plant material. The volume of mail and the lack of adequate inspection personnel does not allow for a 100% inspection and especially the small shipments will most likely arrive at their destination. It is also a good idea to use a fungicide and insecticide in order to reduce the possibility of introducing a new pest to the receiving country. The point I was making though is the fact, that - at least for the U.S. - the requirement of a phytosanitary certificate still applies, even for small shipments and sending plant material without it is a violation of U.S. law, although usually nothing more is done about it but the removal of the "offending material". Things have changed drastically since September 11, 2001. Before then plants and seeds could easily be brought into the country in small quantities and were released to the public after just a visual inspection, unless they were a protected or prohibited genus.

Harald
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

Hi Harald

As far as the US is concerned, I have a vast problem in obtaining the necessary Phytosanitary certificates, since they have no requirements stated on it. In South Africa, being known in the rare plant circles, this makes it almost impossible for me to obtain a certificate without these specifications from the importing country. The plant inspectors know me and because of the fact that I am asssociated with the rare stuff they are extremely cautious about issuing a certificate that may be dishonoured in any way. They also do not state the plant names , only that plants that are allowed into the country may be imported. Further, as you have said, most countries tolerate the small shipments of plants, and if they are labelled and not on Cites, they do go through.That is the big reason why I sterilise all my plantmaterials before shipping it and also treating with both insecticides and fungicides. I also do not easily export rooted materials excepting rare bulbs from time to time in order to combat the distribution of soil borne diseases. It is really my hope that all of us, who trade with a foreign country would do the same to prevent the spreading of diseases. I know that we are exceeding the laws of most countries, but in doing that we could also ensure that we are not responsible for unwanted problems. I might also add that I do not allow any rare plants to go out without a phyto, and I also prefer to do it registered and insured. I might add here for the people who do trade internationally to be cautious, since there are many countries that are known to be less than honest about the receipt of plants, especially the rare ones. They try to get three times the plants that they should be getting.

Thanks for your input here. and I would like to hear from more people about their trading problems and also the joys. I really do think that we can build up a good trading relationship among ourselves here also, and at least be able to warn the others about the problems that they may be facing.

Regards
Gerhard