Luckhoffia beuckmanii

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.

Luckhoffia beuckmanii

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I purchased one of these, and it said it was a Hoodia hybrid. Googled it, and found various pictures that are the same. But I am having trouble finding out more about Luckhoffia. Not even listed in Desert Tropical or the Succ. Dictionary. One site listed Luckhoffia as a separate genus, and one guy said maybe a hoodia stapeliad hybrid.

Does anyone know more about this particular plant.

Thanks Mike
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

For two years I lived next to Luckhoff in the Karoo but I didn't know anything about succulents at the time. I've been kicking myself ever since, as the whole district was covered with succulents.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

Must have missed this one, but here is the low-down on the plant.

Luckhoffia (Asclepiadaceae), was initially placed in the genus Stapelia. It was later considered to be a monotypic species in its own genus. It is now thought to be a natural hybrid between species of Hoodia and Caralluma x. L. beukmannii. It can be found in both its normal and a cristate form.

The plant will come true from seed. The rust coloured flowers are borne throughout the season and smell dreadful. Cuttings also root fairly easily.

It will put up with intense heat and bright, indirect light. It will not tolerate any frost or prolonged periods of cold weather when its roots are wet. It originates from South Africa.

Hope this helps,

John