Life Saving Greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
daiv
Site Admin

Life Saving Greenhouse

Post by daiv »

Boy was I right to build that greenhouse. This last week while I was away, we got over 5 inches of rain and temps down to the 40's! Had I moved my cacti outside without the protection of the greenhouse, I'm quite sure they'd all be dead now from the cold and wet!

BTW Tony - I checked on that corrugated polycarbonate sheeting and found out that to cover my greenhouse with it would cost about $1000!! :shock: :shock:

So I guess I'll stick with the plastic sheeting for now. Maybe I can panel a little bit at a time. :|
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Wow, that would have been disaterious. but, you done good!

Krikey $1000!!! :shock:
BTW, if you went with the none corrugated polycarbonate, it would only cost about $360 ;)
I think they come in 10ft x 3ft sizes @ $30 each at Home Depot.
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Glad you were astute enough to provide shelter for your plants while you were away, Daiv. And yes... the polycarbonate panels are crazy HIGH, especially being a petroleum product. That's why I feel like the Harbor Freight GH is such a bargain if you are in a low wind/snow area.
BB in SC
Keepin' the blues alive!
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/
Tony

Post by Tony »

Ya Daiv, The poly is way expensive.
I used the acrylic panels, much cheaper but not as tough. But we dont get alot of golfball sized hail here :)
The polycarbonate is very tough.
I dont think anything could break it.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, it just figures that the stuff that would work best for me is the most expensive! :roll:

The double-wall will provide good insulation which I will want in Sping and Fall. We DO get hail and heavy snow and wind. So I think that it would be worth the investment in time.

That is why I'm thinking - do a little at a time. Start with the roof - Save money - Replace the back wall - Save money - Replace the removeable side panels - Save money - etc. etc.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

The good thing is that the plastic sheeting is available in abundance and if tears develop, I can easily replace it in the meantime.
Bram

Post by Bram »

Maybe you can make it with glass and protect it from hail with a net.
Ook al klinkt het raar, als het rijmt is het waar.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well I'm going to do some more careful thought on this now. The greenhouse project was supposed to be a temporary and cheap as possible project using mostly scrap lumber and my brother's leftover plastic sheeting.

As I start thinking about putting money into it, then I think. Every dollar I put into this temporary setup is a dollar that could go to a more permanent structure. So I'm stopping myself here and trying to come up with the best approach. Right now, thermostatically controlled ventilation is what I wish it had the most.

I've got these two books that I'm studying on right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Gre ... 1841881457

http://www.amazon.com/Orthos-All-About- ... 0897214633

Not sure what I'll end up with! :roll:

Daiv
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I have the Ortho book. Very informative and well laid out. Lots of info in there!

I got it at Borders, but i don't think it was as cheap as Amazon has it.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I'm actually borowing both books right now.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Daiv,

I've used all three of the materials for covering greenhouse/sheds/decks and I can say that you get what you pay for.

The 'plastic' single corrugated lasted just about 5 years and the winds blew it apart.

The polycarbonate single corrugated has been on my shed for 12 years and is still going strong.

The multi-layer polycarbonate is expensive, but is worth the money. Long lasting and you can buy it with sun-block characteristics. We re-covered our back patio with 60% sun block and it's great. Only up for 6 months, but I'm counting on 12 years or more durability (Guarantee is 10 years).
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks Buck. I'm thinking of stepping up to the good stuff, but doing it over time. That way I can start to benefit without draining my wallet!
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Yes, I'd hate to cut a piece of the expensive stuff anwonder if it will fit in on the new, bigger house. Just for reference, the multiple layer suff moves, a lot, with heat, sideways across grain.
Buck Hemenway
C And D

Post by C And D »

Daiv
I built mine from scratch, and could only afford a couple polycarbonate sheets at a time, and recycled as much as I can. But poly is the only way in the long run, it lets more wave lengths through, and the plants appreciate it with better colors and flowers. I bought it at Home Depot for about $1.50 per foot, 2 ft width.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Good info, I think it insulates better than the rest too, which will be good for me come spring and fall when I plan to combat cool nights with a propane heater to keep the plant out as long as possible.