cacti and "nacimientos"

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
mavaz

cacti and "nacimientos"

Post by mavaz »

For christmas time, is very popular in Mexico to make a representation of the birth of Christ with clay or plaster figures and plants. We call it "Nacimiento". People make it at home or in public places. Usually cacti are used for "nacimientos". You can see two pictures of a "Nacimiento" in a public park of Gomez Palacio, Dgo. with some local species at:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c105/mavaz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy new year..
Last edited by mavaz on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Great pics, thanks. We north Americans can't put them in many or most public places, though, since we're too cowardly to stand up to numerically insignificant organisations like the ACLU.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Happy New Year to you too Mavaz,

Great pics, thanks for sharing. We have a saying in England: 'It's nice to know how the other half live' and pictures and information like yours is very interesting and educating.

John
mavaz

Post by mavaz »

Hi John. Thanks. Yes, It`s interesting to know about the other half to me too. Since I meet this forum I`ve been surprised about how the "other half" of the world loves cacti.

Hi, Tim V. You?re refering to the lack of religious tolerance? That?s one of the most terrible things that hurts our modern society. So in this place you can go with your family (if you are believer or not)for a walk and take some pictures. Maybe you want to take pictures (just like me) of Hamatocactus hamatacanthus (picture 1) or Echinocereus stramineus and Glandicactus uncinatus (both in picture 2)in a very unusual landscpae.
Last edited by mavaz on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Yes, we just don't have that freedom anymore. Los Angeles had to spend thousands of dollars just to remove a small cross from their city coat of arms; a Nacimiento it much more illegal.
capheind

Post by capheind »

I still don't understand why so many people seem to think we need religiouse displays on public ground. Aren't these sorts of things precicely why churches have such large, tax free, lawns? And there are far more churches then courthouses. Such displays on public land are no more than religiouse attempts to mark territiory. Incidentally even though I am an atheist I celibrate the season because I have so many christian friends and family so I don't mind such displays, even enjoy some, provided you put them where they really belong.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Everyone:

This has been an unwritten rule I had for this forum, since before I started it. Now that it has come up, I will change it to writing: "Comments on politics, religion or other controversial subjects are not allowed on this forum. This includes the topic of 'origins' also."

Important! There is no fault by any members above as this rule was never mentioned before, so please don't take it that way.

Reasoning:
There are so many forums on the web that cover that material and we don't need to duplicate the topics here. In my expereience, there is a lot of negativity and ugliness on those boards. Like everyone else, I have my own opinions about all those issues as well, but just don't think that a cactus website is the place to discuss them. Also, I would hate to have two members of this forum not share their love for cacti with each other because of a disagreement about something that is unrelated to cacti.

This board is not intended for discussion of anything other than cacti. If anyone has other comments on the use of cacti in Mavaz's Nacimiento that is OK, but let's not engage in a political/religious debate.

Note: Discussion about ourselves is OK as long as it is friendly. We're cacti-related as enthusiasts after all.

Thank you.

Daiv
PS. My decision here isn't open for discussion or comment.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti