Grafting

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
tvaughan

Grafting

Post by tvaughan »

I've just ordered some Melocactus seed, and would like to try grafting the seedlings, when and if they come up. The only plant material I have available for rootstock is the kind of generic Echinopsisone tends to pick up. Will this be suitable?

Thanks
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Tim,
I think the size of the stock is what matters. Seedlings are small and probably need a smaller stock to be grafted to. I hear that some of the Pereskia are preferred for this because they are very hardy, but and small enough in diameter because of their tree-like growth.
Last edited by daiv on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Tim,

I'm not into grafted cacti myself but I like my opuntia's and there are some suitable for smaller grafting. Check the link out:
http://www.cactus-art.biz/technics/Graf ... _index.htm

Bill
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Bill, that is a great site, thank you very much.
faslimy

Post by faslimy »

Pereskiopsis spathulata is a very good, fast stock for seedlings only weeks old
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Yes the Cactus-art site I put Bill onto is an excellent site for all kinds of information and I'm glad Bill remembered it. I have had a number of plants grafted on Opuntia stock by Valentino, the owner of Cactus Art and they all grow very well. They are only short stocks and can be virtually hidden by a collar of gravel.

I understand what Daiv is saying, but apart from it looking a little unsightly (like a pea on a drum as they say) the size of the stock is really irrelevant, apart from the fact that you would probably have to offset the seedling so that both vascular bundles are at least crossing one another at some point. This is essential or the graft will not take.

It the genus is to be Melocactus what I would be looking for is a fairly hardy stock, which will assist in keeping the plants through the winter. Melocactus do need quite a lot of heat in winter and a hardy stock would give you a better chance of them surviving. As Bill said a fairly hardy Opuntia would be an excellent choice.

John
mavaz

Post by mavaz »

Wow. very interesting. Here I have a question:
Why we see Hylocereus or Mytrilocactus as the most used stocks for grafting?
Or is just only my appreciation?
Last edited by mavaz on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Commercial growers just use the cheapest, or the strongest stock, I think.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

faslimy wrote:Pereskiopsis spathulata is a very good, fast stock for seedlings only weeks old
That's the one I was trying to think of...
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

mavaz wrote:Wow. very interesting. Here I have a question:
Why we see Hylocereus or Mytrilocactus as the most used stocks for grafting?
Or is just only my appreciation?
I think also that finding grafting stock that makes more grafting stock is also prefered. Both of the ones you mention readily produce many "arms" or offsets when you cut the top off. That way they can keep creating more stock.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Yes the Cactus-art site I put Bill onto is an excellent site for all kinds of information and I'm glad Bill remembered it.
Yes I have to give John credit for that link. I had bookmarked it after a discussion on grafting that I believe had something to do with a O. pulchella John has :-k

Bill
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Like John, I have several plants grafted that I got at Cactus-Art and when necessary, I do use his technique for grafting. John is right, the stocks are so small that they don't even show after the plant has grown a little or if you use gravel. It has happened to me to graft, in emergency, on echinopsis oxygona since it was all that I had available at that time and it is solid, too. The only problem is the constant rejecting of the stock.
Dominique
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hey Bill, didn't mean to try to take the credit from you for the web site. I was just pleased that you had remembered it and I hadn't.

Everybody has just about covered why Hylocereus or Myrtilocactus are used, but I would just like to add one thing that I have never been able to understand. Neither of these plants, used as stocks are particularly hardy and one of the main reasons (though not the only one), to graft is to help an otherwise difficult plant to survive, hence I would say graft onto as hardy a stock as possible, but that is only my opinion.

John
Mike

Post by Mike »

templegatejohn wrote:Neither of these plants, used as stocks are particularly hardy and one of the main reasons (though not the only one), to graft is to help an otherwise difficult plant to survive, hence I would say graft onto as hardy a stock as possible, but that is only my opinion.

John
As a somewhat cynical guy, I suspect it is simply that they are cheaper and/or easier, and if they die well then you have to buy another one. all of the artificially variegated gymnos etc seem to be on hylocereus, and I have had 2 die, tho one is doing quite well. They seem to sell by the truckload at large home depot types, and I have seen more than one child buy one since it looks great. And when it dies a year later, he/she can get another.

I also note that Miles seems to graft either on Harrisia jusberti or Stenocereus griseus, so I assume these are very hardy.

Mike
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hey Bill, didn't mean to try to take the credit from you for the web site. I was just pleased that you had remembered it and I hadn't.
No worries mate, gotta give credit where credit is due. This board is known for sharing knowledge, you originally shared the link and I just past it on to another in need of knowledge. :)

Bill