Suggestions for new rules

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well Gene first I have to admit that it wasn't my idea, but DieTer-Xz's.

(Speaking of DieTer-Xz -he didn't post a picture in the contest. Perhaps he just wanted to vote. What do you say DieTer-Xz? :P )

Anyway, since I didn't have any specific vision of how the contest should be conducted, I decided to let the members decide. I knew that the first run would be a trial and error as we worked out the bugs. In this case it seems that we have another tally for those who don't think voting on own pictures should be allowed. With that, we can go with the majority and say, contestants don't vote at all? I can disable voting ability for contestants during the voting period. I would be OK with that next go around.

Any more feedback on this would be good. Keep in mind, we can have different rules for every contest if we want and have as many contests as make sense. For instance if we had a "Wierd Cactus" contest and simply vote for whichever you think is the wierdest looking whether the picture is good quality or not. While on the other hand, we could have a "Cactus Art" contest, where the composition and photo quality are extremely important.

So I'm open. If anyone has an idea, let me know and I'll do my best to put it together.

Daiv
Last edited by daiv on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Daiv,

Don't get too uptight about this. If I'm right, DieTer-Xz's purpose in suggesting this was to create a special forum in which members could openly share pictures of plants with the only goal being to appreciate them. Frankly, I can't decide which of these flower pics is my favorite and I'm not sure that it makes any difference. They are all outstanding. I will vote, but only to make certain that you realize how much I appreciate this forum within the forum.
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Buck Hemenway wrote:Don't get too uptight about this.
Uptight? Not in the least. I edited the above message with the appropriate "razz" smilie to show that I was ribbing him a bit for missing out on a picture for his own idea. 8) Hopefully that lightens the "tone" of that post.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think it might be a good idea to shorten the entry time to 1 week for submissions and 1 or maybe 2 weeks for voting.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I think you have another good idea :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Yeah, I don't have a camera :D... soon... *evil laugh*.
navy

Post by navy »

I am a new member, and am not a good photographer, but very enjoy to view all the best pics that won the contests. I do not have any pics to join right now, but wait for voting. All pics are amazing.

I agree with the rule: you can vote for your pic, or vote against your pic if you think other's pic is better, because not only the members who posted pics to vote, but others like me to waiting to vote. :D
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, this has been working out nicely. Often times members who put in a photo think that someone else's picture is better anyway. And even more important, we don't have to police the voting.
Ranger Dan

Post by Ranger Dan »

Looks like most of the suggestions have played out, but I have one idea from another site which hosts a little friendly competition...In it the photos are sent to the moderator who then posts all the photos together (same time) without the names of the photographers. I don't know if that would make any difference or not - maybe too much work for the moderator.

Oh, and you may not vote for your own. That was another rule, and I'm with those who agree.
If you check my blog I sometimes have cacti pics posted there. It is very general as I have numerous interests, but the pics are usually pretty decent. azgronseth.blogspot.com