New,,,,,,,

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
RayC

New,,,,,,,

Post by RayC »

,,,here from Connecticut.
I just recently got a renewed interest in cactus after seeing (and buying) a cactus plant (prockly pear (Opuntia humifusa most likely) in with the regular Perennial plants at a nursery here (and seeing it listed as being able survive our winters perhaps). Being one to question things and wanting to know stuff I have been surfing the net here and there to find other possibilities for an outdoor garden. I've for many years a a cactus or two around inside that I neglect but manage to keep alive. I was also (like many if not most in CT) unaware of the fact the Opuntia humifusa is a native plnat here (although not in the northern part of the state where I live).
alikat

Post by alikat »

Hello and Welcome.
:wave:
Alice
peterb

Post by peterb »

Welcome! If you're into outdoor gardening in CT, Andy is a great resource, as is John Spain's book. I think Spain's garden is or was in CT.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Welcome Ray! If you are interested in growing cold-hardies, then hit the "Outdoor Cacti" part of the forum. We've ended up with a regular team of cold hardy growers here!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
RayC

Post by RayC »

peterb wrote:Welcome! If you're into outdoor gardening in CT, Andy is a great resource, as is John Spain's book. I think Spain's garden is or was in CT.

peterb
Yep, I've already seen some of Andy's stuff, and yes, Mr Spain has been growing outdoor Cacti here in CT since 1965.
daiv wrote:Welcome Ray! If you are interested in growing cold-hardies, then hit the "Outdoor Cacti" part of the forum. We've ended up with a regular team of cold hardy growers here!
Thanks, I have been looking around there a bit.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Howdy Ray!

Great day today, eh!!
RayC wrote: Yep, I've already seen some of Andy's stuff, and yes, Mr Spain has been growing outdoor Cacti here in CT since 1965.
The thing I keep learning is that I need to add even more gravel and rocks to the soil. I'm not completely happy with any of my outdoor soil mixes now as I feel they hold a little too much moisture. So remember you can never add enough stones to your soil with the rain we get.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Ray,
welcome to the premier cactus forum. I hope, that you are going to enjoy yourself and benefit from the collective knowledge of the forum members.

Harald
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Welcome Ray!
You have come to the right place to learn and share all there is about cacti :)
alikat

Post by alikat »

Hello :wave:
Alice

Addicted and lovin' it