Hello All,

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Prism1234 wrote: Oh,

Should I just leave the starts alone until fall, or should I plant them in pots indoors until I get a bed going in the spring? Is the Spring the best time to plant?
I just planted one myself so my vote would be plant now there's plenty of warm weather left for a cutting to put out roots and establish itself so that it will be ready to go crazy in the spring. I've found many opuntia cuttings will start sending out roots in as little as 3 days in warm summer weather.
Prism1234

Post by Prism1234 »

Kewl!!

I cannot wait to start!
No matter how pretty the fire is don't touch it...
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Prism1234 wrote:Kewl!!

I cannot wait to start!
Well, you want be waiting too long :) Andy has given some good advice but don't lean your beds to much or the soil will wash out :lol:
Most starts, especially opuntiods will do well with about 1/3 of the pad or joint being planted in the soil to take root.
You will still have plenty of warm weather so they should establish before they enter dormancy in the winter.
My hardy garden gets direct sun from sunrise to about 1pm and does well. It is also on the southside of my house (my frontyard).
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Prism1234

Post by Prism1234 »

ihc6480 wrote:
Prism1234 wrote:Kewl!!

I cannot wait to start!
Well, you want be waiting too long :) Andy has given some good advice but don't lean your beds to much or the soil will wash out :lol:
Most starts, especially opuntiods will do well with about 1/3 of the pad or joint being planted in the soil to take root.
You will still have plenty of warm weather so they should establish before they enter dormancy in the winter.
My hardy garden gets direct sun from sunrise to about 1pm and does well. It is also on the southside of my house (my frontyard).
I am looking into ways of doing this garden. I think some sort of fast draining outdoor "table" could be cool.
Prism1234

Post by Prism1234 »

I transplanted alot of my cacti and they are loving all the room and the new spot by the window!!

I found some cacti seed that I forgot about and I have no Idea what they are so it will be a fun experiment to see what they turn out to be!!

:)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sounds like things are progressing nicely! Good to hear! Those with more seed-sowing experience than I have would say to wait until after winter to sow the seed.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Prism1234

Post by Prism1234 »

Sounds like a plan! I will need a project this winter...

:)