Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Dominique wrote:You are forgiven, Daiv, provided you do share the pictures you are talking about :wink:
Don't worry Dominiuqe -I am putting this together in an article for everyone!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Hi. Daiv, you're making me curious! Hurry up and post those pictures :D!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

OK everyone, I finally took the time to put together the "Hall of Fame" page for the first place winners.

Here is the link:

http://www.cactiguide.com/contest/
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hi Daiv,

I would like to make a suggestion. I feel you need to relax the 600 pixel rule for the contests, if not for the whole forum. Nobody runs their monitors at such pitifull resolutions anymore and the truth is 600 pixels, at least horizontally, doesn't even quite fill the width of your table let alone the average screen.

If you won't relax the 600 pixel rule then at least let us link to our pictures on our own servers rather than display them here. You're not hosting these pics anyway so it won't cost you a dime more. They are all basically "Hot linked". And quite frankly I've seen some magnificent pics both in the contests and on the forum that I would love to gaze at full screen. I run my monitor at 1024 X 768, I'll bet you do too. 600 pixels on a side just doesn't do any of these pictures justice.

Just my opinion,

Franj
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Franj,
I think I beat you to it on this one. Have you checked out this link?

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1711

This new feature keeps the images fitting within the page and automatically makes a link out of images that are greater than 600 x 600.

Take note of Frank's comments. There are still a lot of people with slower connections out there -especially in rural areas. I would like to keep the forum reasonably light for those people.

You have always had the ability to link to a picture elsewhere. That is a good idea and I would even recommend putting a note "large file" or something like that to give the people with slower connections a heads up.

Daiv
PS. Money isn't really a factor. Usability is first and clean design are priority.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ahh! I was supposed to start contest number 9 this last weekend! Sorry about that everyone. I am a week off. Does anyone mind if we start that this comming Sunday instead?
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Sounds fine to me Daiv :) Depends what the subject is but even if I don't post a photo I love looking at the others!
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt