Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yep, good idea. Get that camera and jump in, but in the meantime, you've got to vote!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

A general tip for all contestants: even the most simple picture can win. The one with the most flowers or so doesn't have to win.
Concentrate your picture on just one part of the plant and snap. This especially for flowers, it has a very good effect.
Simplistic, but very nice; so, don't hesitate to post your picture even if you think it's no match for the other ones, it's possible you'll come out on top with just that sole flower picture!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

For the third time now I'm amazed at the variety in the different photos in the contest. Many of the submissions are types that I hadn't even thought of.

I like the way these contests are going. As soon as I get a chance, I'll put up a Gallery page for the winners. That way after we do a bunch of these, we'll have a "Hall of Fame" of all of our favorites in one spot.
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

I need a camera :P
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well until you get one, you've got to do the voting! 8)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Reminder to Contestants!

1. One of the Rules is No Voting for contestants. If you post a picture in the contest you should NOT vote on any picture.

2. For future contests, remember the picture size should be no bigger than 600 pixels in either direction. That means if your picture is 730 x 450, it is too big. I had to re-size four of the pictures because they were too big.

Ok with that out of the way, I must say these contests are really a lot of fun. After this one, I will build the "Hall of Fame" page for the winners. I asked Dominique for the next contest topic and she has already picked it out...

...what could it be?
:-k :wink: 8)
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

...what could it be?
I personelly never try to figure out what a womans thinking :lol: but I'm sure it will be a hit.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Dominique
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Congratulations on the last contest everyone! I never expected a tie! I'm happy to say that the two people's pictures I admired most, finished together :D.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

daiv wrote:Reminder to Contestants!

2. For future contests, remember the picture size should be no bigger than 600 pixels in either direction. That means if your picture is 730 x 450, it is too big. I had to re-size four of the pictures because they were too big.
Please Be mindful of the rules everyone -there are not very many of them after all.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

OK everyone. The turn out on this last contest was double what we are used to seeing. Lots of entries has is great, but it creates some new challenges.

Here is what I am thinking -let's open this up for discussion to create the best results.

I am thinking that we should limit the number of entries to 25% of the number of votes in the previous contest. In other words, if contest number 4 has 42 votes, then contest number 5 can only have 11 entries. If contest 5 gets 65 votes, contest 6 can have 17 entries and so on. (always rounding up because the number of entries has to be a whole number)

Here is another way to look at it:

(total votes in previous contest)/4 = (max entries in current contest)

My thoughts are that we need to have quite a few more voters than contestants to make it interesting.

What do you all think?
mavaz

Post by mavaz »

Hi Daiv and all:
I don?t agree with the idea of limit the entries or vote. Why?.
What?s wrong if someone have an entrie and vote. Is clear that you can NOT vote for yourself.
It will be a bad notice for me if someone tell me I can?t vote if I make an entrie.
Specially in this 5th contest, I had several troubles for make a decision for voting.... I enjoyed all the process, select my entrie and make my selection for vote..
So, in my opinion, please don?t limit the enthusiasm....
Thanks
Last edited by mavaz on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Not sure about your idea Daiv. I can kind of see your reasoning but don't fully agree with your could be solution.

I'd hate to be the person to say who could and couldn't post there picture because of limiting submissions.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Mrs. B

Post by Mrs. B »

If you get too many entries, you could possibly change the contest to allow a second round of voting. You could pick the top 5 entries(or maybe a percentage of the entries) to be entered in a final voting round. This way, people who entered could also vote. Just an idea.

The contests have certainly been successful and I have been enjoying everyone's pictures. Keep up the good work :D
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Mrs. B wrote:If you get too many entries, you could possibly change the contest to allow a second round of voting. You could pick the top 5 entries(or maybe a percentage of the entries) to be entered in a final voting round. This way, people who entered could also vote. Just an idea.
That's a pretty good idea! We could have two polls one to narrow down to two and then one to pick between them?

Any more thoughts?