Another euphorbia - suzannae?????

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.

Another euphorbia - suzannae?????

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I got this awhile back at Home Depot with E. suzannae label. I never really checked it out, but saw one yesterday that looked much different and then googled it. Now I wonder if mine was mislabelled, or if it is just small and hasn't really developed the tubercles. The longest stem is only about 2 inches, so I assume it has growing to do.

What do you think - if not suzanae, any other ideas?

Mike
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

No it is definitely not suzanne. Looks more like mammillarias to me.

John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Well, I think I'm going to bring more trouble than help :wink:
On the cactaceae.net data base, I found an euphorbia marlothii that I never heard of :
http://www.thater.net/cactaceae/db/inde ... ec_id=9624
Then, I did another search on Google with "euphorbia marlothii" which does not seem to exist but it led me to an interesting article about... euphorbia susannae marloth, especially the pictures as of number 7. Well, I do not believe that Home Depot get their plants straight from South Africa, but since I have no name to propose and I do not believe it is euphorbia mammillaris, then I would share this !
http://www.u4ba.nl/articles/susannae_marloth.htm
Dominique
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for info Dominique. The one I have certainly looks like the unknown in the article, and it has six sides. I have mamillaris, and I think this is different. Well, even when I get them labelled, I get mysteries. :lol:

Mike
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Dominique, you continue to come up with excellent suggestions for ID's and marlothii is a good choice for Mike's plant, but in this case I am not sure it is correct.

I have marlothii in my own collection. Mine at least has a much greyer looking body than the one in Mike's photograph and the flower stalks are much longer, more like Euphorbia meloformis.

I certainly would not discount your suggestion, but I am not totally convinced. Sorry

John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

It's OK, John ! So, euphorbia marlothii does exist. One more to remember :wink:
Dominique
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

Well, I took a chance and emailed Rikus van Veldhuisen, who wrote the article Dominique found. (I also found a hard pdf copy on the web http://www.euphorbia-international.org/ ... arloth.pdf

- it was printed in Euphorbia World this year." I sent him a few pictures of mine, which in my view looked extremely similar to the ones in his article labelled species nova 260, and here is his response:

"Dear Michael,
Thanks for the compliments and your reaction. It seems indeed you are growing the same thing. I am amazed by the fact it is sold by supermarkets.
I know it has been collected by several people long before I found it. Even in the time of White, Dyer and Sloane the population probably was known, as I wrote in part 1. Surprisingly nobody ever recognized it as something new and it was wrongly labelled as E. susannae. Which it is not in my opinion.

good growing,
Rikus."

So I will label it species nova J&R 260.
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Well, Mike, it was very thoughtfull of you to get in touch with Rikus. I have to say that I have looked at every single picture I could find on the euphorbia websites I have bookmarked and when I found this article and saw the pictures, I thought I had to share this. Well, it is extremely interesting information that you got. Thank you for letting us know.
Dominique