Hi there

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
bogjust

Hi there

Post by bogjust »

Hello all.

I am by no means a horticulturalist or anything and generally seem to kill any plant that has the misfortune to come into my care. I do, however, have a cactus which I was given when I was 4 years old which, somehow, is still alive. I believe it is a CEREUS JAMACARU F. MONSTRUOSA.
I have now had it for 33 years and its water intake has been sporadic at best. I'll go months without watering and then suddenly remember, and then forget for another few months! Its always lived on a window sill and has only been repotted twice. (I realise this is tantamount to cactus abuse but i have always loved it!)

Anyway, in all the time I've had it, it has never flowered. I was just wondering if anyone knows if it should flower or if I'm doing anything wrong (apart from all of the above, I know!)

I would apreciate any comments

Thanks
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I think keeping it indoors and not repotting it regularly has prevented it from flowering.

It needs fresh media to obtain nutrients, along with a regular watering regime. (a little fertilizer would be good too) It's probably just been in survival mode for the most part of it's life. It can't take the energy away from sustaining life to flower.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Do the C. jaramacu monstrose make a flower? I don't think all the monstrose plants make flowers and I dont' recall seeing any of these making flowers. I could be wrong though!

Tim
birdguy34

Post by birdguy34 »

If your version is the kind that stays more globular and miniature, I think it is incapable of blooming. If it is the more columnar, "warty and knobby" type it can bloom if growing vigorously like when given free root in the ground, but not as likely in a pot.
Chris