Are you planning to go . . .

Post links, info, news, etc. regarding local and national cactus clubs and societies
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hey Buck- I think it will just be me on Sunday, not me and Jen. Looking forward to it!

peterb
Zone 9
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

I just noticed that the Cactiguide.com get-together is listed on the latest program schedule....cool!

On the CSSA website it says, on the Sales page, "(We).....have arranged with the hotel for daily pick-ups of sales for shipping around the world."

That sounds like the hotel will take care of shipping plant purchases, or am I totally misreading it? If so, how would payment work?

Another question, is it worth it to buy raffle tickets for early access to the sales? I would only recognize what's rare/trendy/bargain-priced in one genus :)

Thx,
-R
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

The local club puts the shipping deal together and it is OK. Probably not the perfect solution, but the cost is up front and you know what you're in for. What I mean is that if you went out and bought boxes and packing material, packed the plants and took them to the UPS store yourself, you could save some money, but who has time?

We always buy the raffle tickets. You will too, just because you can be first. Right? Who knows what rare little euphorbia is waiting to be added to your collection, someone else might get it.

For me, I always figure out that the cute little gasteria, of which there were only two was the plant that I really wanted, and then beg the grower to bring his microscsopic pup and sell it to me at a stupid price(true story) and it's still alive.
Buck Hemenway
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Thanks Buck. I will have time (not leaving till the afternoon of the 17th) and will be hesitant about putting my purchases in the hands of anyone else.....

But I've decided to stop obsessing about how I'm going to get plants home, and just look forward to the event...it will all sort itself out in the end :)

-R
PS Okay yes I'll buy some raffle tickets :)
TimN

Post by TimN »

I'll be there on Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday. I'm going with my wife and parents (my mother is the other cactus fiend in the family.)

The key (to me) is to be there at 6:30 Friday to get the magic raffle tickets! I have a few classroom events I want to go to on Saturday and I'd like to see the Pilbeam presentation on Sunday morning.

There are a couple of presentations on Wednesday that I'm interested in, but I'll be back home by then.

I'm staying in a time share condo about 10 miles north of the event site.

Hey, Lance, if you need something to do after the main events, I've got a spare bedroom in Cave Creek you are welcome to stay in next week.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

Hey, if you are coming over for the convention, don't forget some warm(ish) clothes. It's supposed to be cool and windy for the next week or so. It's supposed to be 68F on Saturday.

Bring long pants, shoes and socks and a light jacket for the evenings.

Jeez, it was 92 yesterday!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
hob

Post by hob »

you guys that are going have a great time, and bring back some photo's for us foreigners :P
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
John C

Post by John C »

hob wrote:you guys that are going have a great time, and bring back some photo's for us foreigners :P
And people who can't make it. :wink:
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

For all you New England guys, I met John Spain today and told him that you all think he's the greatest.
Buck Hemenway
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

In about 10 hours we'll be part of the first face to face meet of Cacti-Guide members. We're looking forward to that and hopefully bringing a few curious convention goers in.

Heres a few pics of the goings-on so far

Joe Clements (manager of the Cactus Collection at the Huntington for 25 years), Peter Walkowiak, San Diego (chair of the 2011 Convention), my better half, Yvonne

Kelly Griffin (left) and his lovely bride Denise with Woody Minnich

Roberta and Jim Hanna (sellers of plants at every club in Southern California), Hans Britch (owner of Wester Cactus Growers - if you own two cacti, at least one has spent part of it's life at Western), and Mark Muradian, potter extraordinare.

The sales area opened at 7:30PM and was open until midnight. Great stuff there

Breakfast before the first speaker

Tequila tasting for 500.
Buck Hemenway
peterb

Post by peterb »

I had a great, short visit yesterday. It was highly unusual weather for April, with heavy drenching rains and very cool temps. Snow on the Santa Catalinas!

I was standing at the sales table for Rio Grande Cacti when I noticed Darryl and Tim N had sidled up right next to me. We hung out in the rain and talked plants for a while, joined by Jen. Miles Anderson has some great deals-- 4-6 small plants planted in one pot for $4. G. wrightii, Echinocereus pulchellus sharpii, Coryphantha recurvata, etc. The sales area in general very nice indeed, although as usual heavier on unusual succulents and with somewhat more common cacti. Perhaps I missed the real rare cacti. (Welwitschias for sale on the Arid Lands table!)

I had nice short talks with Miles A, John Spain, Bob Barth, Bob Jewett, a group of folks who traveled all the way from Australia, Attila Kapitany (prez of the Australian society) and a few others. Spent a lot of time looking at books.

Looking forward to heading back today. I'm especially interested in Charlie Butterworth's DNA presentation this afternoon and the CG meeting this evening. I took and will take some photos...in particular, there are absolutely awesome show and auction plants.

peterb
Zone 9
Tony

Post by Tony »

Peterb wrote;
Perhaps I missed the real rare cacti
Most likely you just got there AFTER Darrel, That guy can clear out a room in no time! :P
Have a great day yall! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Good to hear and see some of the details :)

I agree with Tony about Darryl :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Buck Hemenway wrote:For all you New England guys, I met John Spain today and told him that you all think he's the greatest.
Wow, he gets around. It was just 7 days ago I had a brief chat with him :D
peterb

Post by peterb »

Darryl, Jen, Robert (Lancer), Buck and Yvonne and a curious visitor from Australia named Neal (spelling?) and I all met this evening. It was great fun. I took off before we managed to get a group photo, which is a shame, but perhaps there's one without me.

I had a great day talking with Woody Minnich, John Pilbeam, John Spain, Myron Kimnach, Leo Martin, and Charles Butterworth, whose presentation on DNA research in the tribe Cacteae was fascinating.I resisted buying a single thing. No plants, no books, no t-shirts, nothing.

I am curious how the rare plant/book auction went this evening. The hottest item was probably a huge Pseudolithos cubiformis donated by Miles Anderson, although there were many amazing plants. I had to laugh at the Cylindropuntia molesta in the huge pot! First of all, ouch, trying to ship it.

photos tomorrow,

peterb
Zone 9