Jus tthought i would introduce myeslf

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Sbradford89

Jus tthought i would introduce myeslf

Post by Sbradford89 »

well hello everyone. :D Im fairly new to the world of Cacti and Succulents. I started gaining my interest in them when I saw the small collect that my Fiance's mother had. We slowly started going out to pick her out some new plants and as of Monday this week she bought me my first of what i am sure is going to be many. Other than how nifty a lot of them appear, im not exactly the biggest green thumb so i thought i would attempt something that seemed a little hardier :D plus my cats cant eat something that bites back :lol:
So new... So much to discover...Sincerely Shala
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey, glad to have you! As of my typing this, you've already got 8 posts, so I know I'll run into you again real soon.

Most of us started out just like you. Soon you'll have a hard time remembering what life was like before cacti! :lol: :lol:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

hehe that is if i can keep my cacti alive :) im not good at keeping plants alive, bu ti figured trying cacti would work because they can go without water for a little while. As long as my cats dont eat the one i have i hope to continue my collection. Any suggestions as to what would be good for my area to attempt to grow is grealty appreciated :D
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Welcome to the forum and your soon to grow addiction :lol:
Cacti should fit the bill for your not so green thumb. You can grow almost anything in your area if there in pots :wink: When and if you start growing in the ground is where you have do do some homework or just ask questions here.
Heres a flower you should like and you will be somewhat surprised by the cactus it's growing on as some don't consider them a pretty cactus.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

what is that a prickly pear?
hegar

Post by hegar »

Welcome to the forum from me too. Growing cacti - at least some of them - is not always easy. However, there are genera which are quite forgiving. I do have a Master's degree in Horticulture, but still manage to kill some of my plants now and then. I am sure you are going to do just well with your small and growing collection. There are a lot of folks on this forum who have quite extensive experience growing cacti and I am certain everyone of us is willing to assist you with your new hobby.

Harald
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

thanks for the welcome. hehe You should check my post in cultivation... lol any help in that area would be greatly appreciated... and maybe u can tell me what my first little cactus is... i posted in in the help with ID part.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Welcome to greatest cacti forum in cyberspace :)
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Sbradford89 wrote:what is that a prickly pear?
Yes, it's actually a hybrid. It's a cross between Opuntia polyacantha and Opuntia fragilis. It's cold hardy so it survives year round in the ground.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

hehe i made a good guess :) go me! i dont think they are ugly just not something id pick for myself to grow..
Tony

Post by Tony »

Welcome to the forum :hello2:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony