please help the new guy!

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
laxbeaver

please help the new guy!

Post by laxbeaver »

I am an absolute neophyte at cacti, just bought some tiny 1-2 inch plants at Walmart and planted them in pots 3 days ago. I used Miracle Gro potting soil with 'moisture control' (whatever that is) because its what I had on hand, mixed about 50-50 with sand from the yard. I placed aquarium gravel at the bottom of the pots (1 inch deep). I planted them and watered them so the soil would settle. After 48 hours the soil had barely dried and I am worried this may be a bad environment for them. How long before damage is done, if any? Can I wait for the weekend to replant them (6 days from first planting)? I am unfamiliar with some of the names, but I have a couple organ pipes, an old man, a couple aloe, some button shaped, and some succulents. (my friend told me the first couple names.) I have them together-5 or 6 in each of two big pots- because I like how they look together. I thought I'd replant them later if I manage to grow them to a large size. Is this okay? Should I separate the cacti from the succulents? One more-I've now read that pumice is a good soil component. Where can I find pumice for sale? Any good soil "recipes" would be much appreciated. Please help me start off right! These plants are so cool!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Wow! That's a lot of questions! Let's see if I can help :wink: ...

Good thing about WalMart cacti is that they sell the hardiest of the species because they are a mass merchant. This does not (at least in my opinion) reduce the desirability of those species, but is helpful to note. There are lots of posts on this forum about soil/compost mixes (you can do a search for either term above...). You can also read my thoughts on the subject here: http://www.cactiguide.com/growcacti/

As for watering, there are also a lot of posts about watering on the forum too -probably more than on soil mixes. It is best to have good drainage. The gravel at the bottom is ok, but it would be better to mix the gravel into the soil and have an even mixture all the way through and be sure the pot has adequate drainage holes and a tray that will not allow water to soak in the bottom of the pot.

Changes in mixture are hard on roots that are partly in moist, rich soil and then in rock/air. This causes them to either dry to easily or rot.

Pummice should be available at various nurseries, but isn't found at big Home Depot type garden centers. You can substitue with Chicken Grit as many from this forum have already done.

As for planting different species together in the same pot.... That will be OK for a while, but it will be a challange as some will grow much larger than others while some prefer more or less water, etc.

You might consider individual pots and then put the pots close together and cover them with a topdressing of some sort that makes them look like they are all together.

Hope to see you "stick" around and "grow" with us!
:D

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
laxbeaver

Post by laxbeaver »

hi daiv,
thanks a lot for the advice :D . I plan to use your suggestions as soon as possible. reading through the forum, it looks like a lot of good people here to help and discuss. I love to grow plants and this new area of cacti is fascinating. I see why you guys are so into it and I'm glad for this resource. I see from an old post that you're from MN. I work (surveyor) in Winona MN and have actually found cactus growing on dry south facing hillsides around Houston County area. Not sure what kind, but both beavertail and globular shaped.
dont mean to ramble but I'm pumped to get these cacti growing. maybe I can post a picture soon for ID help. I'm glad to hear that my walmart cacti are the hardy type, because I need room for error! looking forward to more posts. Thanks again for the site :D
steve
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Steve,
Feel free to "ramble" all you want!

The Cacti you encountered in MN are most likely:

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?uname ... 20humifusa

and

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?uname ... 20vivipara

Daiv
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Welcome, Steve,
Like you, I started (very long ago...) buying a few cheap plants. They are still alive. My collection is now much bigger and most of the time I'm careful about where I buy more plants but it still happens that I can't resist a plant with no label when I do my grocery shopping !
Dominique
laxbeaver

Post by laxbeaver »

Thanks guys! Dominique, I'm with you-if its unknown, I have to find out what it grows up to be!

I have repotted my plants and I have learned a lot from old posts and stuff, but I still have a question about what to do next. The plants were in the wet mixture (it never dried!) for about 6 days before I repotted them into a dry mix (grit/peat/topsoil). The roots felt wet or damp when I did it. The mix is very dry and they have been in it for about 5 days. Now I wonder when to water them again. Should I leave them alone until I start watering regularly? Or should I water when I figure the roots are dry? I think I would normally wait till March/April to start. Air is dry now for us, about 35-40% in the house.

I have been trying to ID my cacti on my own, but soon enough I'll give it up to you guys-but not before I come up with some guesses of my own! I think some are too small yet to ID.

Steve
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Steve,
There is no rush to water them. You could stick them in a cardboard box with no dirt in your closet for 6 months and they would still be fine. (Some more so than others.) Anyway, if you have good drainage and the soil is not going to be wet, it won't hurt that bad to water them, but then be sure to let the soil dry before watering again.

Also -> Glad to hear you are trying to ID on your own first. That is how you learn to ID and eventually help others.