What to feed my cacti

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
MickAfrica

What to feed my cacti

Post by MickAfrica »

Living off the beaten track makes it difficult to find the right thing. I have got a product called Seagrow - an organic plant food. Is this OK for use on cacti?
Mick
peterb

Post by peterb »

does it have NPK numbers? Regular feedings in strong light and during growing season should still be low nitrogen. I use 20-20-20 and dilute it significantly. Most cactus food is 2-2-7 or in that range.

peterb
Zone 9
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

sorry for the hijack but would 3-1-5 be alright too?
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

the stuff I use is 2-2-7. It seems to work ok.. I dilute it a little too...
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
iann

Post by iann »

Anything is OK for a while, especially if you keep it dilute. Too much nitrogen at once is a problem that can be partly counteracted by sufficient quantities of the other nutrients. 3-1-5 might have too little Phosphorus for some longterm use. Look for something balanced or with the first number smallest, although you can usefully apply a straight nitrogen fertiliser at very low concentrations. Nitrogen doesn't persist in the soil while the other nutrients can be stockpiled for many months.

Look for a fertiliser with trace elements, especially if you are growing in "sterile" media such as peat and perlite. Loams and natural rock products provide some trace elements but it still makes sense to top them up with a fertiliser because it is likely that some are in short supply.

My final advice, almost always ignored, is to learn what ppm means ;)
--ian
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I'll break the 'ban', what does it mean?
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hob

Post by hob »

parts per million
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
majcka

Post by majcka »

hob wrote:parts per million
Now when you mention it looks logical. :oops:
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Peterthecactusguy

basically parts per million is a measurement. (for liquid solutions)
iann

Post by iann »

ppm measures what you actually put on the plants. If you put 2-7-7 on without diluting it you would kill them, so it is pretty pointless to say you use 2-7-7 without saying how much you dilute it. Also pretty pointless to say you use 7-7-7 instead of 20-20-20 since they will both be the same by the time you put them on the plants.

Rather than give two or three different bits of information and expect people to work it out for themselves, just give the ppm and everyone knows exactly what it means. Except they don't because people have been conditioned since birth to think that numbers are hard :(
--ian
Peterthecactusguy

Ian,
well I do say I dilute mine. I follow the instructions and DILUTE it further.

BTW I hate numbers. I am not good at math. So people like me are part of the problem :(
iann

Post by iann »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:Ian,
That's my whole point. You have no clue what concentration you are actually putting on your plants, so I have no clue, so I have no idea if you are fertilising more or less than I am. Which one of us should change because the other grows better plants? No idea.

You wouldn't tell someone that you "water your plants quite often and so should they". You know that means nothing to nobody and you'd never do it (I hope!), yet people are always giving advice about fertiliser that is just as useless.
--ian
MickAfrica

Thanks for feedbacks

Post by MickAfrica »

Have read all the posts, and must say am a little more confused than I was. The Seagro organic stuff I have reads per kilogram N - 53, P - 7 and K - 17. The dilution is 5ml to a litre of water, so guess if I dilute more it should be OK.
Getting hooked on these prickly pals.
Mick
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

well from what I've understood so far that N-number is way too high
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:Ian,

BTW I hate numbers. I am not good at math. So people like me are part of the problem :(
I am good with numbers, but not the proper terminology when I'm unfamiliar with a given application. Let's say for example, I have a certain liquid fertilizer which I dilute by putting a teaspoon into a gallon of water. I have no idea what the PPM numbers are, but if I talk about fertilizer N-P-K and dilution rate, that I can understand. Would this be useful to know if a given fertilizer is doing the right thing or not? I totally agree with what Ian is saying, so without some context any discussion of fertilizers is meaningless. (I have no problem with math -- if someone can give me the basic formula for determining PPM by volume, I can do the math.)

By the way, I'll add another wrinkle to this. Basically it's about taking a look at the particular species of cacti being cultivated in one's collection. I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have, but food for thought about considering the cacti people actually have as opposed to a "one size fits all" approach that could send incomplete advice in the wrong direction. I'd hate to see anyone ending up killing their cacti due to lack of knowledge on proper cultivation methods. (Sorry, but I have a feeling this happens waaaay too often.)