Dorm Room Propagation

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
coltonschultz

Dorm Room Propagation

Post by coltonschultz »

So, I live in San Luis Obispo, where we are getting mostly 70+ weather. I can supply extra heat and possibly a lamp to provide proper light and humidity. My question is, would now be the time to sow seeds? Thanks!
adetheproducer

Re: Dorm Room Propagation

Post by adetheproducer »

to be honest if you have a lamp for heat and light you can sown pretty much when every you want. I started my latest batch in october/november so they will be strong enough to go outside in march/april when weather in UK warms up enough.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Yes. If you sow now, the seedlings will probably be old enough to survive next winter under normal conditions, the same as your older plants. You should think about using the additional artificial light.
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

You don't mention what you are growing but as others have mentioned, seeds will germinate any time you can provide proper conditions for that seed.

I live just south of you in Nipomo and spent Jan 3 filling my propagator with cacti, succulents, and some ornamentals as well.

I start with 75-80F heat and 16 hours of light for most species and adjust heat and light as things progress.

To learn much more, vist the Central Coast Cactus & Succulent Society meeting this Sunday. Details here.

We have quite a few really experienced and dedicated propagators in our group. Don't be shy, ask questions.

Browse the archived newsletters to find a writeup on our last seed starting workshop.

Cheers ... GeneS
coltonschultz

Post by coltonschultz »

Just sowed some Ferocactus Emoryi today. I am keeping a lamp on it and in my windowsill when there is enough sunlight. Wish me luck!
CHADDYBIGGUMS

Post by CHADDYBIGGUMS »

Good luck, I'm excited to see some results!