Sulcorebutia buds

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
grewfresw

Sulcorebutia buds

Post by grewfresw »

I know that it is recommended to start watering Sulcorebutia plants in springtime when buds are approximately 5mm in diameter. When should I start watering if some buds are that size and new ones are keeping showing up?

Thanks

Taras
7george

Re: Sulcorebutia buds

Post by 7george »

Your plants should be in very warm & sunny place. Better don't water it till next spring. In good conditions flowers will show up even kept dry.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
iann

Post by iann »

Probably the plants just haven't realised winter is coming yet. Keep them dry and they'll get the message.
--ian
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Rebutia's and Sulcorebutia's are usually higher altitude plants and need a cool winter rest to flower best. As George says watering should really not start until spring since if it is autumn (fall) or winter they should be dormant or starting to be now, though some can carry their buds over winter.

See:-

http://www.sulcopassion.be/pdf/0135_2001.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sulcorebutia is now usually lumped into Weingartia since they obviously merge, it being almost impossible to tell whether some are Weingartia's or Sulcorebutia's and have been placed in both genera in the past, as with Sulcorebutia (Weingartia) purpurea below. Though in the past most, but not all, original Weingartia's were yellow flowered:-
S.-purpurea.jpg
S.-purpurea.jpg (100.71 KiB) Viewed 1968 times

Sulco's suit me as I run a cold greenhouse over winter. They are ideal beginners plants and flower small.

A few others flowering earlier this year.

Sulcorebutia tarabucoensis ssp. lindae
S.-tarabucoensis-lindae-RF-.jpg
S.-tarabucoensis-lindae-RF-.jpg (49.59 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
Sulcorebutia steinbachii ssp. clizensis
S.-steinbachii-ssp.-clizens.jpg
S.-steinbachii-ssp.-clizens.jpg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
One of my favourites Sulcorebutia patriciae, which is really just a pale yellowish spined form of the white spined S. hertusii (= senilis). This has finer more curly hairlike spines than most Sulcorebutia's (hence the name senilis).
S.-patriciae2.jpg
S.-patriciae2.jpg (67.56 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
grewfresw

Post by grewfresw »

Sorry guys, but I probably was misunderstood. I'm asking when to start watering Sulcorebutia in spring time (May-June) if some buds are big enough, and others are just showing up. Should the plants be sprayed or small amount of water to be added? Whole winter (Nov.-Apr.) I keep them at 5-10 degrees C in sunny place without watering so winter rest is not an issue.

Thanks,

Taras
grewfresw

Post by grewfresw »

And I am talking about buds on same plant; same are big and others are just showing up.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I would start watering probably early March in the UK, but I don't know how Canadian seasons compare.

All I can find for Canada on the web is:-

"Dormant period

The key to successful flowering of your plants is the ability to provide them with a cool dry period from around November to March. The cooler and drier the better."

That seems to indicate your watering season starts about the same time as ours in the UK.

http://albertacactusandsucculent.org/ho ... ti-indoors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You may find some more information on the Canadian club pages in the links below:-

http://www.cactus-mall.com/clubs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iann

Post by iann »

I wouldn't worry about the buds in spring, they don't show up until after I start watering. Once the days warm up (inside the greenhouse, not out) so they won't stay cold and damp. Probably April most years. They're dedicated summer growers, so no harm in leaving them dry until you're really sure. There is more below the soil than above so don't worry if they look a but shrunken.
--ian
7george

Post by 7george »

Exact dates may be different at every location. Surface watering or spraying will not affect them, but for profound soak better wait for first flowers to open.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The buds on mine, as with Ian, don't come until after I start watering, therefore possibly if you already have buds in spring you are late starting watering. As Ian says though they will not hurt from being dry.