Is corking a sign of dormancy?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
widea

Is corking a sign of dormancy?

Post by widea »

Hi,

After 8 months of being completely white and corked, my cactus seems to wake up after I put it outside:
Luckily I did not throw it away.

Is this corking a sign of dormancy, to protect itself from something? If not, what could it be?
ElieEstephane

Re: Is corking a sign of dormancy?

Post by ElieEstephane »

Corking of all of the stem is very unnatural and could be the result of a pest attack or maybe a sunburn. Your cactus is starting to grow again on its reserves. Be VERY careful so the green growth doesnt get sunburned. It's the only thing it has got to help it grow
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
widea

Post by widea »

Be VERY careful so the green growth doesnt get sunburned.
I will, thanks!
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

Something similar is happening to my little Polaskia. She is like only 5cm and already corked and looking sick.
She has new growth now. I have read it can tolerate sun well that’s why I suppose could not be sunburn :?:
46732F2F-B63F-42CB-9497-8F19FCEF8055.jpeg
46732F2F-B63F-42CB-9497-8F19FCEF8055.jpeg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

DodoBrooke wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:55 pm Something similar is happening to my little Polaskia. She is like only 5cm and already corked and looking sick.
She has new growth now. I have read it can tolerate sun well that’s why I suppose could not be sunburn :?: 46732F2F-B63F-42CB-9497-8F19FCEF8055.jpeg
While cacti are pictured growing in the most arid environments in the harshest sun, keep in mind some points:
- Young cacti such as your polaskia often grow under nurse trees to provide shade for them or they would cook to death
- Even if a cactus can take full sun, coming from the nursery it has never really seen full sun. They grow under some shade and are given lots of fertilizer which means their skin is fragile. You need to acclimate them slowly
- Full sun in the house is not the same as full sun outside so moving briskly outside is a guaranteed way to scorch your cacti. In addition, lack of ventilation accelerates a sunburn
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
widea

Post by widea »

I find it strange that my two cacti got corked in the first place:
- they were inside all winter with moderate light
- the other cacti nearby did not get this corked skin so that rules out bugs (imo).
That is why it got me thinking of some kind of dormancy (winter, less light, almost no water).
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

It's definitely unnatural. While i rule out bugs too, they can be selective sometimes.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Corking is a natural ageing of the skin, akin to bark formation on a previously green twig of a tree or shrub. Anything that happens on newer growth isn't corking in this sense. Both of these photos look like mite damage to me. As the plant comes out of dormancy/produces new growth, then that new growth will be undamaged.
widea

Post by widea »

I never saw mites but I read they are almost too small to see. And when the damage has done they are already gone, correct me if I am wrong.
They must be very selective because they did not touch the other plants (orchids and other cacti).
But the next winter when my cacti go inside I will check occasionally for mites. Perhaps I am on time to spot them. Doing something about it when I see them is part two...
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You need a strong magnifier to see the mites. Red Spider Mites make silk like tiny spider webs, you're more likely to see that than the mites themselves. There are other mite which don't make silk, though.
Spence :mrgreen: