A cellar full of seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Jamuudsen

A cellar full of seedlings

Post by Jamuudsen »

Despite living some 1,500 km apart, my father and I have been growing an (overly?) ambitious range of seedlings in his basement over the last year. We divide the routine stuff as we can: I do most of the sewing when I visit, and much of the picking-out, but he's stuck with the day-to-day.

I'll post updates to this thread periodically, but here are a couple of initial highlights.

Leuchtenbergia principis v trachythele

Mesa Garden call this one Neoporteria esmeraldana. I'm not going to argue Chilean taxonomy here.

Titanopsis primosii. Hope we don't kill them.

Sinocrassula yunnanensis, filling a 2 1/4" pot in less than a year.

mmcavall

Re: A cellar full of seedlings

Post by mmcavall »

Beautiful plants and pictures =D>
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Amazing! Please keep us updated with more pictures
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Jamuudsen

Post by Jamuudsen »

I finally got some time over the last week to photograph some of our seedlings. Since I took far too many shots for one post I'll string them out. Anyone who wants to cheat and look ahead can jump to our flickr account via the links below.

Copiapoa first, because why not? Most of these plants are this year's seedlings, except for griseoviolacea. C. hypogaea first, both forms:

ImageCopiapoa hypogaea by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageCopiapoa hypogaea 'Lizard Skin' by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

C. griseoviolacea, looking more green and water-stained than violet-grey:

ImageCopiapoa griseoviolacea by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

C. tenuissima, upstaging its relatives:

ImageCopiapoa tenuissima by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

And of course we'll see how grey we can get cinerea to turn in the weak Canadian sun. So far, not very:

ImageCopiapoa cinerea by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

Nicely grown plants. Very well done father-son team!
Your sinocrassula yunnanensis photo pointed me to the right direction in IDing mine s.densirosulata, thank you
supergodzilla

Post by supergodzilla »

Beautiful photos. Love those lizard skin copiapoas.
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Looks great, the black spines on that one copiapoa are real nice. I actually have my own sinocrassula yunnanensis seedlings going because I saw your picture earlier this summer and I wanted to grow them, so thanks for the inspiration. They do grow pretty fast, I'll have to do some transplanting one of these days
Jamuudsen

Post by Jamuudsen »

cosmotoad wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:57 pm Looks great, the black spines on that one copiapoa are real nice. I actually have my own sinocrassula yunnanensis seedlings going because I saw your picture earlier this summer and I wanted to grow them, so thanks for the inspiration. They do grow pretty fast, I'll have to do some transplanting one of these days
And so the cycle continues. Many of the plants we're growing were inspired by posts here, especially those of the Frys and Hanazono.

Your avatar -- Captain Beefheart?
Jamuudsen

Post by Jamuudsen »

Astrophytum time. We're taking a lot of inspiration from Hanazono's threads here, though we don't have his climate or skill. Here in Canada the Asian cultivars are mostly unobtainable: a superkabuto or a nudum asterias might pop up at a club sale or one of the major importers, and extortionately-priced grafted variegates sometimes get brought in. For a hobbyist dealing with the CITES documentation to bring cacti in from the US makes getting an audience with the Queen look easy. Therefore we grow from seed, mostly from Star Astrophytum, accepting the vagaries of things not growing true, but amazed by the wonders that we do get in our pots.

First, a plant from Koehres seed under the dubious name 'Kituko.' Extremely vigorous, filling a 3.5" pot in only two years.

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma 'Kituko' by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma 'Kituko' by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

I really enjoy the plants that go multi-headed from a young age.

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma hybrid by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum coahuilense triple head by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma caespitose by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma double header by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

Yes, we grow asterias too.

ImageAstrophytum asterias by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum asterias hybrid by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

Variegated asterias, which we will probably graft most of.

ImageAstrophytum asterias 'Nishiki' by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

A few are even budding under the lights!

Our first sowing of caput-medusae only produced one viable plant. A new pot, still in the grow box, is more promising.

ImageAstrophytum caput-medusae by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

But what surprised us most as our seeds matured was the variety that's out there in the less glamorous myriostigma.

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma kohyo by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma variegata by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma Onzuka tricostatum by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum spiny onzuka by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma lumpy by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma tricostatum twist by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma ex rokkotsu f1 by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

ImageAstrophytum myriostigma ex rokkotsu f1 by Rob and Jack Illingworth, on Flickr

Next post will be shorter. Astros are probably half of our crop at the moment.
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Yes indeed, Don Van Vliet aka Captain Beefheart. Those Kitukos look very interesting, I order from Koehres all the time but never really noticed those
ihoptdk

Post by ihoptdk »

You have some really neat cacti here (I'm new to plants in general, so "neat" is as far as I'm capable at the moment :p). Do you sell the plants, or are you an extreme hobbyist? Or for that matter, you mentioned a club, do you have like cacti shows too? Or why not all three I suppose? :p
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

I feel your predicament as the only two places I would see anything of the type is at the large plant and garden show that happens once an year here or the smaller cactus club.
Very nice bunch of Astros you have there!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Jamuudsen

Post by Jamuudsen »

ihoptdk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:17 am You have some really neat cacti here (I'm new to plants in general, so "neat" is as far as I'm capable at the moment :p). Do you sell the plants, or are you an extreme hobbyist? Or for that matter, you mentioned a club, do you have like cacti shows too? Or why not all three I suppose? :p
The club I referred to is the Toronto Cactus and Succulent Club. I'm on good terms with the member and sometimes go to their very popular sales (the public come out in droves these days, and the lineup is reminiscent of the kind we used to see for new Harry Potter books). I'm not a member, mainly because their meetings are scheduled at a time and place that would make it extremely difficult for me to attend. Early weeknight evenings in the suburbs aren't practical when I generally do late office hours downtown.

We don't sell at present, and this isn't a commercial enterprise. Next summer we will probably make a small offering of surplus plants online, and I may offer a flat or four through a GTA retailer or the club sale. I'm also personally interested in a number of things that either can't be grown easily from seed, or that seed is not shelf-stable enough to be widely sold -- the smaller Euphorbias, Adromiscus, and slipper orchids in particular -- so some will go towards trades.

If you're in Canada and interested DM me so I can send details when the time comes. We will probably keep all asterias seedlings until they have flowered as they are quite variable, but realistically with those plants that grow true to species we will only keep 3-5 clones between us -- enough to have some insurance against losses and produce seed when we want to.
ihoptdk

Post by ihoptdk »

Unfortunately, I'm around 600 miles outside of Toronto in Massachusetts :p I'm also pretty clueless lol. I had a cactus at a desk job I had once years ago, and decided I wanted one again. Now that I have him, I'm interested in getting more, but like I said, I'm clueless. I'm sure your collection is leaps and bounds outside of my understanding (for now, anyways).
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Hi, Jamuudsen. So you are "Rob and Jack" from Flickr! We have been admiring one another's pictures and discussing on some plants for a while now... :wink: