Base of cactus turning brown.

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Aramidesaxi

Base of cactus turning brown.

Post by Aramidesaxi »

I recently purchased this cactus and it is now starting to turn into a weird color. I only water once a month and it receives 3 to 5 hours of direct sunlight every day. For the rest of the day it receives great light but no direct sunlight. I live in the tropics and it’s been dry and around 90° lately. The colored area is not soft.

Thank you for your input!
Attachments
IMG_3759.jpeg
IMG_3759.jpeg (143.04 KiB) Viewed 250 times
IMG_3760.jpeg
IMG_3760.jpeg (171.36 KiB) Viewed 250 times
Steve Johnson

Re: Base of cactus turning brown.

Post by Steve Johnson »

The beige areas around the base indicate premature corking, typical for mixes containing too much soil and organic material. Lean out the mix by adding mineral gravel -- pumice (the best if you can find it), granite gravel, or calcined clay granules. My default recommendation is a 50% soil/50% mineral gravel mix, although you could go a bit leaner (maybe 40% soil/60% mineral).
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:37 pm The beige areas around the base indicate premature corking, typical for mixes containing too much soil and organic material. Lean out the mix by adding mineral gravel -- pumice (the best if you can find it), granite gravel, or calcined clay granules. My default recommendation is a 50% soil/50% mineral gravel mix, although you could go a bit leaner (maybe 40% soil/60% mineral).
Steve, I would suggest this plant has been starved of N mainly. ottonis will happily grow in 100% organic mix if enough N is supplied. What must be remembered about the organic component is that decomposing bacteria always win the battle for N so enough for them and the plant needs to be present.
Last edited by MikeInOz on Mon May 13, 2024 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Premature corking, probably due to small watering. Notocactus ottonis origined from southern Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay in grasslands where year precipitation in high enough that's why in collections plant usually suffer from excessive dryness.
Last edited by anttisepp on Mon May 13, 2024 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

anttisepp wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:03 am Premature corcking, probably due to small watering. Notocactus ottonis origined from southern Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay in grasslands where year precipitation in high enough that's why in collections plant usually suffer from excessive dryness.
I have a Notocactus herteri outside. It gets tons of water all year. It is corking badly because it's potting mix is exhausted and it's starving for N P K (no food for 3 years) although this corking is not reversible now of course....
Aramidesaxi

Post by Aramidesaxi »

Thank you Al for your help!!! Very much appreciated!!!