two mystery cacti

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
cojadate

two mystery cacti

Post by cojadate »

Hello, I've been given two cacti but nobody knows what species they are. I would be very grateful for any educated guesses so I know how to look after them.

Cacti A

* This one is about five inches high.

* The shopkeeper apparently claimed that its soil should never be watered. Apparently it should be sprayed with water once a month, and that's it. Sounds unlikely, but then cacti are unlikely plants. Is it true?

Cacti B

This one is about three inches high.

caudiciformken

Post by caudiciformken »

Hi, picture one, is a Euphorbia, not a cactus. I would water when soil is dry.
Picture two, is an opuntia possibly, that has flowered/fruited.

Not sure of the species, but I have something similar to your pic 1.
Keeping the economy going.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

The first one is not a cactus, but a succulent. It's for sure a Euphorbia, but not really sure on the speices. Possibly ferox. It looks to have been growing in low light.

The second is an Opuntia, but again, not sure on the specie. Maybe a spineless form of O. dillenii or O. ficus-indica with big areoles.
cojadate

Post by cojadate »

Wow, thanks for the rapid responses. I would never have guessed that the first one is not a cacti.

Any idea how long they can go without watering?
peterb

Post by peterb »

Get a feel for the weight of the pot fully watered and the heft of it when it's pretty much completely dried out. When it seems light and the soil is fairly dry, water away (during seasons of active growth, assuming you can provide fairly strong light).

peterb
Zone 9
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

The Euphorbia is E enopla most likely. As Euphorbias go, they are pretty hardy I think.

I water mine heavily from April to October or November, they are outside in SOuthern California. But then the mix has a lot of pumice. If it has the dense mix in many nursery sold plants, less often.

Mike
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

CoronaCactus wrote:Maybe a spineless form of O. dillenii
Actually, i take that back, the fruit is all wrong for dillenii. Sorry.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

The shopkeeper apparently claimed that its soil should never be watered. Apparently it should be sprayed with water once a month, and that's it
i found this to be quite humorous :lol:
some people have no clue! :shock:

i agree i think that the Euphorbia is E.enopla, and a post-light-deprived specimen too.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Lewis_cacti wrote:
some people have no clue! :shock:
Well, not quite as bad as those who ask if Lithops are alive after learning they are plants. altho in fairness, they are not plant folks like the nursery guy.
cojadate

Post by cojadate »

Thanks for the further species clarifications.

However I was actually asking about the watering stuff because, for reasons I won't bore you with, I need to abandon the two plants for very long time (maybe up to a year) without a reliable "carer" and I want to know how long they can survive without watering.
iann

Post by iann »

A year without water is a bit too long although I suspect the plants would survive it. They would certainly be unhappy though.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think your bigger problem is going to be finding someone who doesn't over-water them.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti