Going desert and native plants in backyard North Dallas area

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
JoeCactus

Going desert and native plants in backyard North Dallas area

Post by JoeCactus »

I am really frustrated with my backyard I have tried a few things and nothing has turned out like I would like it to.

I'm starting my latest project by digging up a foot and half maybe two of soil on a little patch of yard against a fence that faces west. Most of this area will get full sun for about 8 to 9 hours of the day during Summer. I am removing the sprinklers and putting in drip irrigation that will be used for hanging flowers or plants on the fence area. The idea is to fill the area with pulverized granite and create an environment that weeds will not like with good drainage and little water except specifically where I want water to go.

Eventually I will take this into other areas if I am successful.

The back fence faces North and that stretch against the fence gets full sun most all day. I want to eventually pull it all up and put cacti there. Same idea replacing the irrigation with a drip system.

I'm posting some pictures and if anyone wants to add any advice on what kinds of plants to put I would be grateful.

As you can see there is a South facing fence and a West facing fence. For shade loving plants there is a Patio that faces North and East so it stays shaded all day long then on the east side of the house is an area that is shaded from the evening and morning sun by the house and an 8' fence.

The native yaupon trees are staying and in the shaded ares under the tree is a fern I hate to lose it will stay also. I cut down several yaupon trees along the side area there because there was so much shade that nothing would grow well and the female or male whichever that has the holly like berries would trash the place with berries. Now it looks so bad because what you see is about a months worth of growth of yaupon shoots. I keep cutting them back and they just return. So that area is getting tilled and dug up to remove as much roots as possible. The yaupons that are staying are getting boxed in with boards. I plan in digging down and fixing pressure treated 2x12 to section off that area from the desert like area with the pulverized granite.

That is the plan I have in my head right now and subject to change. I'll take my time working section by section spending a little on it each month.

I have seen some examples here that were quite an inspiration. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Looks like a really fun project!

I am just curious, is the patio relatively new? Have you had problems with lime leaching into the beds? It seems that patio designers are not necessarily plant people, as so often they design "planters" that grow nothing but weeds and too dry dirt.

Anyway, as to the fun stuff, my choices for plants (other than the prerequisite cactus) would be Yucca for height, Agave for interest, and maybe some "fountain" type grass to soften it up. But if you have a plethora of youngsters, I'm not so sure Yucca and Agave are such a good idea.

Whatever you decide, have fun and keep us posted!
JoeCactus

Post by JoeCactus »

Thanks for the reply and tips the Patio was built with the house in late 80's as for the leaching I bet it has but I never tested the soil to see. There is a small strip between the patio and the walk that currently has ivy growing in it. I think Ivy must be a tough hardy plant but it does look stressed sometimes. I have a Chihuahua and a Pomeranian that given the chance will go in there to pee. I sectioned off a grassy area on the east side of the house as their place to "go" and have trained them to go over there to do their business. I need to test the soil though to find out its PH I suppose.

I'm a bit of a novice things like that don't cross my mind. That's why I'm looking for good advice. :D
JoeCactus

Post by JoeCactus »

Here is a panoramic view if I remove the crape myrtles in the SW corner I can fit a lot over there.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212 ... plants.jpg

I'm looking to get a few of those big barrel cacti. Some tall columnar cacti but I don't want it looking un-natural and symmetrical. Going for a natural feel.

I think these should do well as for being cold hardy and handle any rainy spells.

I have had these for years one they call a Christmas Cacti. It blooms actually in early spring with deep red flowers.

Besides I think it is outgrowing its pot. It has been sitting in the corner and I forget its there and do practically nothing to it. I like a plant that you just don't have to do a thing with.

Also the same with these. I took the picture when they were in bloom some time late spring.

JoeCactus

Post by JoeCactus »

Doing an image search of Yucca plants I noticed these I have seen them in some impressive looking yards around here.

http://www.guzmansgreenhouse.com/desert ... -yucca.jpg

A taller Yucca such as this would be a nice contrast against the darker brown fence I think.

http://www.carolmendelmaps.com/walking- ... /yucca.jpg

Here is a site with an interesting rock garden with a variegated Agave plant. That would be an interesting specimen.

http://davarree.free.fr/la_rocaille_du_kernic.htm
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I just got some of that red yucca (hesparaloe) to add to my garden. It attracts hummingbirds, which I think is a big plus.

You should have a big advantage over me for your plants, I would expect that there are many more places that you can get desert plants in your area. I have to search like crazy and usually end up ordering from the internet.

Have fun!
JoeCactus

Post by JoeCactus »

You would think but I have not found much at all here there is a place in Ft Worth I have not gone to yet and I scouted out a nice nursery in Oklahoma City appointment only. The closest big Nursery's are in Austin and San Antonio. All will be day trips maybe an excuse for a weekend getaway except for the Ft Worth one.

I just got two succulent cuttings from a friend at work. I need to post them on the identification thread they are pretty nice and have really odd looking flowers. I do not know if they like cactus type soil or not.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Those Echinocereus would do very well there. I think you could do a really neat Echinocereus collection and it would make a lot of sense in your setup. These plants are relatively narrow and would go along your pool edge nicely. Many are native to Texas and with several species, you would have a long and impressive flowering period.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
JoeCactus

Post by JoeCactus »

Thanks for the tip Daiv they do seem to be quite hardy. I'm eager to get started on the first bed its all dug out and dried out. Now I'm looking for an economical way to find a solid soil base without spending a fortune. I'm estimating I'll need about 10 times what I mixed before for potting projects possibly more. I could go to a rock query and get a truck load of crushed lime but I'm guessing that will make it hard to keep my PH right. Meanwhile I got a nice neat hole and accumulating more cacti in pots.
MildBill

Plants for your Dallas yard.

Post by MildBill »

Just drive over to the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens this Saturday (Oct 3, 09). The Texas Association of Cactus and Succulent Societies is having their annual seminar and plant sale. Entry is free and there will be lots of experts there to answer your questions.
JoeCactus

Post by JoeCactus »

Well it looks as if I missed that date. Man it sure has been rainy lately and putting a damper on my work.