Discoloured lithops

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Succerpunch

Discoloured lithops

Post by Succerpunch »

This guy suddenly went from brown to white a few days into keeping it in direct sunlight for two to three hours. Since then I have stuck to keeping it in a shady place. Is it sunburn? Even the base has gone from green to a yellowish-green colour. Apart from a little sprinkle more than a fortnight ago, this has had no proper watering yet. Am I supposed to give it a good drink now? Also, it feels sort of soft, not firm to touch. What is wrong with it? Please advise!
Attachments
Before
Before
IMG_20200507_111435-609x646.jpg (107.49 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
Now
Now
IMG_20200507_111512-609x617.jpg (90.04 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
IMG_20200507_111550-609x634.jpg
IMG_20200507_111550-609x634.jpg (71.16 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
Jangaudi

Re: Discoloured lithops

Post by Jangaudi »

Direct sunlight can cause a bit of a shock if the plant has been shaded, or behind glass before that. However, as they need their summer dormancy and if temperatures are hot already where you are (given you are in the northern hemisphere) you might as well let them start to shrivel already, so barely any water until the fall, and a partly shaded spot. Here's all the info you need :
http://www.lithops.info/
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

Sorry to say and be happy to be wrong but it looks ‘cooked’ to me.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's not totally bleached out, might be a chance of recovery - but I agree with bharv, looks kind of cooked.
Spence :mrgreen:
Succerpunch

Post by Succerpunch »

What can I do to encourage recovery? Should I tear off the papery sheath? Also, should it live(fingers crossed), can it survive till fall without any watering at all?
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Succerpunch wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:28 am What can I do to encourage recovery? Should I tear off the papery sheath? Also, should it live(fingers crossed), can it survive till fall without any watering at all?
I would not tear off the old leaves, the dry old leaves are actually an extra protection during the hot summers. You do not need to stop watering fully from now, you could fade it out a bit in the coming month, considering it got a sun/heat stroke. Also if you put it outdoors during the summer, but best a bit protected from too much sun, it will benefit from fog and night time condensation. If you keep it indoors, a bit of light misting once in a while won't hurt.
Whether or not it will survive is only written in the stars ;) It will be fall before you could be sure I guess.