Treatment of pests

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Carpkel

Treatment of pests

Post by Carpkel »

I have read that when you spray pesticides, ie.isopropyl alcohol, Neem oil, or other pesticides, that you will need to keep the cactus or other succulents out of direct sunlight.
My question is:: does that only apply when the pesticide is still wet and not quite dry or is it during the whole period of the treatment the pesticide?
Steve Johnson

Re: Treatment of pests

Post by Steve Johnson »

Carpkel wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:09 am I have read that when you spray pesticides, ie.isopropyl alcohol, Neem oil, or other pesticides, that you will need to keep the cactus or other succulents out of direct sunlight.
My question is:: does that only apply when the pesticide is still wet and not quite dry or is it during the whole period of the treatment the pesticide?
Only while the pesticide goes from wet to dry. Once it has dried out, plants can go back out into the sun. The only exception may be with oil-based pesticide sprays like Neem oil, although IMO Neem oil causes problems with too many cactus species, and I wouldn't recommend using it. Carpkel, you can get TetraSan and Avid to get rid of pest mites. Unlike contact sprays like alcohol, both products are transdermal sprays. Spray at night while the pores (AKA stomata) of cacti and succulents are open -- the active ingredients get into the skin and stay there for about 30 days. Not quite a systemic effect, but much better than contact sprays. For more info on TetraSan and Avid, go here...

viewtopic.php?t=42129

...and scroll down to "Long-term solution for pest mites".
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Carpkel

Post by Carpkel »

Thank you Steve Johnson. Your information was very helpful
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

You're welcome! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)