Aztekium hintonii

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Hanazono

Aztekium hintonii

Post by Hanazono »

Aztekiums grow very slowly. I need 2 mm diameter of seedling to get good success ratio of seedling-grafting. I tried to graft hintonii several times but the success ratio was very poor.
I have used a different method and it has looked to take this time.
I sowed seeds on 27/07/07 and diameter of scion is around 2 mm.
Lachy

Post by Lachy »

Wow, that's some patience. Now that it's grafted, how fast do you reckon the scion will grow?
Tony

Post by Tony »

Great! :D
I have attempted tiny aztekium and strombo's on pereskiopsis many times and still havent had success.
I think it is as you say, nessessary to grow them to a larger size first before surgery.
But now I have a few 2 to 4 mm seedlings, and just cant get myself to cut them. 8-[
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Lachy
The scion will grow quite quickly. I grafted one hintonii sedling in 2007. The current size is arond 5 cm diamater and attached many pups. It was in flower last year.

Tony
When I graft a young seedling eg 10~40 days afted germination, I do not give any pressure on the scion.
In the case of hintonii, I hooked a piece of pantyhose over stock spines and give pressure on the scion because the scion is small but it is quite old.
I used a plastic sheet also and wrapping over pantyhose to minimize dry-up the scion.
jumperke

Post by jumperke »

Succes!
When I graft seedlings, I wait till they are 6 weeks old.
2 weeks ago, I grafted 6 Echinocactus polycephalus-seedlings(2 months old/nice, longspined forms.)
I grafted 3 seedlings of them on Pseudolobivia kermesina and 3 seedlings on Ferocactus glaucescens.
And I grafted also 11 Eriosyce ceratistes-seedlings (2 months old) on Echinopsis.

jerko
Waxsimulacra08

What.

Post by Waxsimulacra08 »

What stock is that?

Looks like myrtillocactus, yes?
Please visit my forum The Earth Garden.
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

I only got 50% take on the two dozen I did. The pups were much bigger, though, about 25mm. I did a thread about them, I think 6 months or so ago, and most haven't grown. They're alive, but only one shows signs of growing.
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

I see it's been a year now. Here's the thread

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... t=aztekium

On a side note, I've been trying to root a cutting of a larger A. hintonii, so it's been a year as well. The plant is about 4 inches/100mm across, and some of the pups are getting bigger, but I'm too chicken to mess with it to see if it has any roots. I water it once per week in warm weather.

I'll plan on updating the thread today hopefully.

Any tips for G. mexicana? I've got a dozen from seed I got from Snowpuppy that are about 1mm/6 months old.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Waxsimulacra08
The stock is Harrisia jusbertii.

tvaughhan
I grfted 5 G. mexicana seedlings several years ago.
I have not seen flowers yet but the current diameter of scoins are around 7 cm.
I used same method for the grafting, using pantyhose.
They were 1 year old and around 2 mm diameter.

Rooting from cutting of A. hintonii and G.mexicana are not easy. I have tried but they have never taken.
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Thanks. I must tell you that those A. hintonii cuttings were difficult! I just counted, and after 1 year I have 9 healthy plants out of 24 grafted, so it's a third success rather than 50 percent of the cuttings as I earlier claimed.

I've tried with two A. ritteri and both died, although I haven't given up.

I'll have to try your method with the G. mexicana, thanks.
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

Any new updates on how to graft Hintonii?

I've been trying for the last month with no success. I don't have many seedlings left and the ones that are left dont' look too good.

They're about 6 months old

Here are the two, or I should say 3, remaining graft attempts with some hope of survival. They're about 2-3 week old grafts. Slowly shriveling.

One thing I just realized is that I should have sterilized the seedlings before grafting, because of the ooze they've been swimming in for months.

Do they look like they will make it?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

tudedude

I think your hintonii seedlings have grown quite well. The size of seedlings is good enough for grafting.

I do not have experience to graft young seedlings on opuntia. If you grafted hintonii seedlings on pereskiopsis correctly, you will get a successfull result. I think the black grafting face is not good news. I found you did not need any pressure on hard scions during grafting if you used pereskiopsis stock.

I did not have seedlings and grafted very small pups of Aztekium ritteri and Geohintonia mexicana.
Hanazono

1. Aztekium ritteri, grafted in March 2011
2. Aztekium ritteri, grafted in March 2010
3. Geohintonia mexicana, grafted in March 2011
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

Very nice hanazono. I just ordered some geohintonia seeds so i'm excited to start.
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

I have 17 A. hintoni seedlings about 8 months old, each a little ball with a single tuft of wool at the top.
I grafted one earlier on pereskiopsis and it is doing great, ribs, wool and a tiny pup now. I am hesitant to graft any others as I don't know how they will root up when I decide to de-graft. Any thoughts? It's that or re-graft onto something else but I just don't think I'd want these growing on a mytillocactus for the rest of their lives.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

DWDogwood

I will de-graft ritteri in September. I will introduce the result in this forum.
I think same method will also work on hintonii.

Hanazono