Needing some help

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
liisa8800

Needing some help

Post by liisa8800 »

Hello, im planing next year to start a cactus bed. So i bought some seeds ; maihuenia poeppigii,escobaia missourensis,echinocereus viridiflorus,-triglochidiatus
So i wanted to ask if tey need some extra care before germinating? especially maihuenia poeppigi.
I'm not Englis guy, so im sorry if i have mistakes in my text.
Liisa

Be shiny :D .
vlani

Post by vlani »

No special pre-sowing care, but Maihuenia may take some time to germinate. Sometimes they all go out within couple days, sometimes they wait for something and pop a year later. If nothing pops out the first two weeks you will need to start two weeks wet - two weeks dry routine till you see first sprouts. Keep them wet once germinated.
Maihuenia must be started with no cover whatsoever, and needs strong light from the day one. Think tomatoes :)

You may want to start your seeds right away, winter with dim light is fine for the first months for all your (future) seedlings.
liisa8800

Post by liisa8800 »

Thanks! But i have to but seeds (maihueia) in soli (on)onto windowsill and water them and no baggies?
Liisa

iann

Post by iann »

No cover, no shade. Especially not in Estonia in winter 8)

This is one of the few cactus species that really seems to benefit from chilling or freezing of the seed, so you might just leave it out all winter if you don't get good germination before then.
--ian
promethean_spark

mahuenia

Post by promethean_spark »

I've found it helps with mahuenia to sand the seed coat down a bit with fine sandpaper, until it goes from black to brown/white. In nature I think they need to go through a bird to germinate.
vlani

Post by vlani »

It all urban legend about Maihuenia.
I've seen 10 out of 10 germination within half a week from sowing, no tricks applied. It all depends on some sort of timing. They do grow better when it is warm, and germinate better when it is warm.
liisa8800

Post by liisa8800 »

iann wrote:No cover, no shade. Especially not in Estonia in winter 8)

This is one of the few cactus species that really seems to benefit from chilling or freezing of the seed, so you might just leave it out all winter if you don't get good germination before then.
What do you mean at no cover no shade? That just but on windowsill?
Liisa