Minimal enviromental temperatures

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Eustace

Minimal enviromental temperatures

Post by Eustace »

I've made a list of minimal enviromental temperatures for about 960 Cacti species (and other Suculents).

U can download .pdf file here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/37345147/cac ... s.rar.html

It's only 50kb
Visit my cacti blog:

http://www.cactus.blogger.ba
legolas29

Post by legolas29 »

This list is great!

Thank you!

For those of you not good with Celsius degrees, the formula to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit is: (1.8*deg C)+32.

So -2C would be 28.4F.
iann

Post by iann »

Nope, can't get it. Looks like six people have managed to download but it won't give it to me.
--ian
parodias

Post by parodias »

Can't get it either .. the extensions combination rar.html seems rather weird to me !
hablu

Post by hablu »

I have it. Thanks Eustace. greets Harry
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

I don't see the problem... 10 downloads already...

You just have to learn how to use rapidshare.de

First of all, when u go to the link, click on the FREE Button. Then u wait for the counter to count down (in this case there is no conter, because the file is small). Then u will se code, 3 characters. Enter them in the right field, and click DOWNLOAD. Then download begins... Note: Download manager are not suported! You must download it only with Internet Exploer's (of Firefox's) download manager... Maybe that is the problem with u?

If u still can't download it, send me your email on PM, and I'll send it to you, it is only 50kb.
Visit my cacti blog:

Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Last edited by Eustace on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my cacti blog:

parodias

Post by parodias »

already got it .. will check the data
iann

Post by iann »

Got that one. Numbers look to be in the right ballpark.
--ian
neonj

Winter Temps

Post by neonj »

Hi there, this will be my first winter with a large number of Cacti. Are all these negative numbers on this list or is that just a dash seperating the plant name and the number? If they are all neg numbers, then These temps are a lot lower than I expected. Most of them are below freezing. I have a book and it lists most cacti min temps as 32 F or 50 F. I didn't think they could take temps this low.

Jeffrey
MrCrimson

Post by MrCrimson »

Thanks for making this list, nice thing to have.

But, curious as I am, where did you get the data from ?
iann

Post by iann »

Yes, the numbers are negative numbers. Many cacti can handle freezing conditions. This list is somewhat biased towards the hardier cacti, there are many species that can handle little or no frost, and quite a few that need to stay well above freezing. Even the ones that can withstand freezing can only do so in certain conditions. They need to be dry at the roots, somewhat acclimated to cold conditions, in fairly dry air, and not cold for too long. Some of the very hardiest species naturally shrivel up as winter approaches so that they contain less water which could freeze and kill their internal cells. A few of the very hardy species can take freezing conditions while wet, I have a few that can survive outdoors in England.
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hello-

Ian rightly points out that most hardy cacti need to be in winter condition (somehwat or very dramtically shrivelled) as well as dry in order to take temps below freezing. Atmospheric humidity can also cause damage.

Another important factor is whether or not the plants are grown in pots. Plants in the ground against a south wall will take temps sometimes 10 to 20 degrees F lower than plants in pots.

However, many books are too conservative in their "minimum temperature" information. Glass and Innes in their "Cacti: An Illustrated Encyclopedia" give temps for many species that are well above what certain plants not only endure, but prefer.

Mesa Garden's seed list provides solid info, and Eustace's info is in line with that.

peterb
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

yes, they are negative numbers, and Iann is apsolutely right. I colected these numbers from various web sites on the internet.
Visit my cacti blog:

iann

Post by iann »

Funny you should mention that, Peter. I was just browsing through Glass & Innes: Identifying Cacti, which is simply a cutdown version of the book you mention, and the minimum temperatures given are quite funny. The coldest category they have is 7C (45F), applied only to a very few of the hardiest plants that I happily leave unheated outdoors. The majority are listed for a minimum of 10C (50F). I guess commercial publications just daren't recommend anything close to a sensible temperature in case somebody kills a precious cactus.
--ian