Updated list of active cactus sales???

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
CoffeeAddict

Updated list of active cactus sales???

Post by CoffeeAddict »

Do we have an updated list of online stores to buy cactus? Yes, I do know of Miles2go and have used them a lot but who else has an extensive list and good prices?
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
DaveW

Re: Updated list of active cactus sales???

Post by DaveW »

You can try Cactus Mall for links to American Cactus nurseries. Not all links are up to date and some are dead, but most will let you download their stock lists.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/nurseryusa.html

You often have to take into account shipping costs on small orders though as if you only want a few plants it can make them expensive. However if any of the dealers are in your area they may be worth a visit to find if they have plants in too small a number for them to list, if not Internet only traders.

For those outside the USA and Canada.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/nursery.html
keith

Post by keith »

It looks like many growers are selling on ebay now, prices are not always good but the list is extensive. C and D plants has allot of nice conophytums and some cactus too. And good prices.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

We have some sellers in the UK who sell dearer on EBAY than from their nurseries direct. If you can find a link to their nurseries you may find them cheaper on their online plant list than on EBAY. Cactus Mall lists some of them.
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

eBay prices are terrible. Sometimes justified for rare plants but usually overpriced and then add ridiculous S&H.

Just my opinion.
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The usual con with EBAY is just to add "rare" to the name, even for fairly common species and the less knowledgeable with more money than sense who must grow "rare plants" fall for it and compete against each other, often bidding the price up to ridiculous levels. Always search the online dealers first for the plants before using EBAY. However due to CITES not allowing plants to cross borders you may only be able to get the plant off your local EBAY. That does not apply to buying seed off EBAY though, since you can usually buy those from a choice of dozens of seeds-men anywhere around the world.

Another thing I have noticed on EBAY for many items is the same seller may list it under several different prices at once. This can be another con since you have to look at the posting or shipping charge and add those on. You may find the "dear" one is free shipping, but the "cheaper" one is shipping extra which brings both listings up to more or less the same overall price, but on occasion what appears to be the dearer one with free shipping works out cheaper. The moral is keep your wits about you if you are buying off EBAY and add on all the postage or shipping charges.
keith

Post by keith »

"eBay prices are terrible. Sometimes justified for rare plants but usually overpriced and then add ridiculous S&H."

Probably better for the seller than the buyer :D . I am seeing a rapid increase in cactus prices which I haven't seen for many years. There are still good values out there like Miles2go and C and D plants. Mesa well IDK they used to have cactus for sale.

At least this Ebay vendor has well grown plants. Also why I don't have any of the NEW discoveries yet. I just grow "heirloom" cactus now
Attachments
Copiapoa
Copiapoa
Copiapoa.JPG (24.51 KiB) Viewed 1166 times