Astrophytum Superkabuto

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mehmet0791

Astrophytum Superkabuto

Post by mehmet0791 »

aliexpress, cactus seeds germination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_k2Chvyelw
Vipassana

Re: Astrophytum Superkabuto

Post by Vipassana »

I have ordered seeds from the same vendor on AliExpress. For the Astrophytum, I am certain that the seeds are Astrophytum by their shape and now that they are several months old, they have all of the characteristics of an Astrophytum seedling. However, they all appear to be A. asteria seedlings and with very ordinary traits. The ones marked as A. myriostigma are certainly asterias and not myriostigma. But for very little money, I was happy to have seeds that were actually delivered and germinated.

I have ordered other types of cactus seeds from the same seller and most appear to be Ferocactus seeds marked under other names. I planted them a week ago so I will know soon if they are correct or not.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I think it is not easy to judge seedlings are super kabutos or ordinal asterias when they were several months old.
It is possible to judge when they reached to 1 year old.

You can not expect all seedlings to be super kabuto even both parents were super kabuto.
Super kabuto started from just 1 plant and crossed various forms in history.

I select seedlings shown the character of super kabuto and repot only them when they reached to 1 year old.
Yamyoo

Post by Yamyoo »

Lucky for these two they got what they ordered, well, somehow. Im happy for you. The first and will be my last from Ali because they didn't germinate.
Arthur
-SE Asia, Philippines - Tropical
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

Yamyoo wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 pm Lucky for these two they got what they ordered, well, somehow. Im happy for you. The first and will be my last from Ali because they didn't germinate.
Well, it's been a week or so. The Astrophytum had good germinations rates. One batch of Gymnocalycium germinated and appear to be Gymnos. All the rest appear to be ferocactus as I suspected (not what was ordered).

It was a fun, cheap experiment, but I am with you, I will no longer order from AliExpress.