Source for small pots with straps?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Zhanna

Source for small pots with straps?

Post by Zhanna »

P1012966clx.jpg
P1012966clx.jpg (129.82 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase more (maybe a few dozen) of these pots with plastic straps? I have only found them in use on Altman's plants sold at Home Depot, etc. I think they're just meant to be used for ease of handling the cacti in the store, but I find them to be very useful for hanging plants that are too small for traditional hanging planters. If anyone has seen these for sale or has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks so much!
gemhunter178

Re: Source for small pots with straps?

Post by gemhunter178 »

As someone who has done some bodging/DIY, but also serious arts...
For a very utilitarian purpose: you could try getting small plastic pots, punching a small hole and wrapping twine through it?
If you want the plastic, staples and those clear projector sheets cut up could work too. Just get some plastic pots that you can staple through.

For something pretty: For things you can't punch holes through (small ceramics and whatnot) you could also try wrapping twine underneath the lip of the pot and then connecting handles to that?
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Similar pot suspension straps that clip to plastic pot rims are available in the UK from Garden Centres, but I don't know about USA. However you may find them if you "Google" pot hangers:-

https://nurseryandgardensupplies.com.au ... g-baskets/

I see the US Orchid people do similar clip on ones though:-

https://orchidden.com.au/collections/po ... -and-hooks
saboten

Post by saboten »

Goodness, I ha dmany old ones that I think got thrown away. Maybe I should start saving them for folks who want them!
Perhaps (and just perhaps because I haven't tried it) you could ask at your local bigbox store if they could accumulate the old pots of the plants that perish in the store. I have seen so many unsellable plants just tossed.
They might not let you take them, and give some convoluted reason why not, (as they did when I asked if I could take the ailing plants in the trash) but you could give it a try. Maybe you will get a nice clerk who says yes.
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

gemhunter178 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:01 am As someone who has done some bodging/DIY, but also serious arts...
For a very utilitarian purpose: you could try getting small plastic pots, punching a small hole and wrapping twine through it?
If you want the plastic, staples and those clear projector sheets cut up could work too. Just get some plastic pots that you can staple through.

For something pretty: For things you can't punch holes through (small ceramics and whatnot) you could also try wrapping twine underneath the lip of the pot and then connecting handles to that?
Thanks! I do like the clear plastic—I've tried string/yarn and I prefer how the width of the plastic strap keeps the pots from twisting and tipping, and also how it's virtually invisible.

We just found some "Dura-Lar acetate alternative" sheets for sale at Staples and a few other places online. I'm thinking that might work if it can be cut cleanly.
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

DaveW wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:37 am Similar pot suspension straps that clip to plastic pot rims are available in the UK from Garden Centres, but I don't know about USA. However you may find them if you "Google" pot hangers:-

https://nurseryandgardensupplies.com.au ... g-baskets/
Those work pretty well for the larger pots but I'm not sure about the smaller ones. I can certainly try, though. I do prefer the clear plastic for smaller pots, because it keeps the focus on the plant and not on the pot or hanging apparatus.
DaveW wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:37 am I see the US Orchid people do similar clip on ones though:-

https://orchidden.com.au/collections/po ... -and-hooks
Interesting! I had not seen the wire ones before.
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

saboten wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm Goodness, I ha dmany old ones that I think got thrown away. Maybe I should start saving them for folks who want them!
Yes, I cringe when I think about how many I discarded before realizing that I could use them in this way!
saboten wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm Perhaps (and just perhaps because I haven't tried it) you could ask at your local bigbox store if they could accumulate the old pots of the plants that perish in the store. I have seen so many unsellable plants just tossed.
They might not let you take them, and give some convoluted reason why not, (as they did when I asked if I could take the ailing plants in the trash) but you could give it a try. Maybe you will get a nice clerk who says yes.
That is definitely worth a try! :D I know there are some strange rules/laws/policies, though. I recall when my mother worked in retail and saw all the outdated magazines being trashed when the next month's issues came in. She wanted to donate them to women's and senior centers, but the company or the publisher would not allow it. They all had to go in the trash. I don't know the reasoning so I can't comment further, but it seemed like such a waste.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I know with newspapers in the UK with unsold copies rather than send the whole paper back in the past the newsagent just had to cut off the "banner" top with the newspaper name on it and return those for a credit and could trash the rest of the paper. Whether that still applies I do not know, but they had to make it unsalable in order to get the refund.
AusNick89

Post by AusNick89 »

I would just use a thin gauge metal wire and punch through the pots at the side with a hot soldering iron and then twist the wire til tight on the potto stop it tipping and then make a twisted loop at the top for a hook to go through. Works for my sons orchids that I got for them :)
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

We ended up purchasing one of those "Dura-Lar acetate alternative sheets" from MisterArt.com (thickness 0.015 inch). My husband cut the sheet into strips and then we attached them to the pots using eyelets and eyelet setting pliers. I'm pleased by how they turned out!
P1013038clx.jpg
P1013038clx.jpg (100.5 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
P1013045clx.jpg
P1013045clx.jpg (54.81 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
P1013049clxz.jpg
P1013049clxz.jpg (79.31 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Very nice!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Zhanna wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:42 pm
saboten wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm Goodness, I ha dmany old ones that I think got thrown away. Maybe I should start saving them for folks who want them!
Yes, I cringe when I think about how many I discarded before realizing that I could use them in this way!
saboten wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm Perhaps (and just perhaps because I haven't tried it) you could ask at your local bigbox store if they could accumulate the old pots of the plants that perish in the store. I have seen so many unsellable plants just tossed.
That is definitely worth a try! :D I know there are some strange rules/laws/policies, though. I recall when my mother worked in retail and saw all the outdated magazines being trashed when the next month's issues came in. She wanted to donate them to women's and senior centers, but the company or the publisher would not allow it. They all had to go in the trash. I don't know the reasoning so I can't comment further, but it seemed like such a waste.
Home Depot does not own or inventory the plants they sell. They are owned by the nursery company and only sold at Home Depot. So that is why they can never give away plants or mark them down on clearance. Lowe's does own and inventory their plants, so if somebody were going to go to a big box store and ask for these extra parts, Lowe's would be your best bet.

Walmarts and Meijers have all sorts of arrangements depending on the size of their garden center and how it is owned, inventoried, and managed.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

excellent work..
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines