Germination

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
RichR

Germination

Post by RichR »

I have some seeds of Echinocereus, Mammillaria, Astrophytum, and Escobaria that I planted 6 weeks ago that haven't germinated. Should I assume they never will at this point? They may have gotten up over 100F inside their zipper bags, although there were many others from that sowing that did germinate. I used C&D's method of using Physan and Chinosol after microwaving the soil so I don't think there is anything going on with fungus or bacteria.
Aloinopsis

Re: Germination

Post by Aloinopsis »

How old were they?
RichR

Post by RichR »

Anywhere from a couple of months to a year. They were from Mesa Garden and SuccSeed.
jellycacti

Post by jellycacti »

I can't speak for your seeds specifically, but I've had fresh seed that only germinated after three months in the bag, and right after we had a 115°F day, so it's always possible that some of those seeds are waiting for a particular growing condition to get started.
supergodzilla

Post by supergodzilla »

Can't speak for all of those genera, but Astrophytum will usually start germinating within days. If they haven't come up in six weeds, I'd expect that the seeds aren't any good.
keith

Post by keith »

Dry them out and try again sometimes that works.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Okay, thanks for the suggestions.
Theral

Post by Theral »

I bought a large batch of seeds from SuccSeed around the same time and two different species never germinated at all. All the others are growing like mad, so I think sometimes it's just kind of hit and miss. They may have been a little older since I bought them near the end of the year.

I'm going to try drying out the cells that never germinated and give it another shot, maybe that will work for you?