Normal growth?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
fanaticactus

Normal growth?

Post by fanaticactus »

My two large Parodia erubescens loved the change to a substrate with a lot of pumice added. I repotted the one on the left last summer. When I did, it was pretty much vertical in the pot. The other one I left alone since it wasn't (at the time) as much in need of repotting as the other. Note that I switched from a clay pot to a plastic one when I repotted. Now I'm wondering if the clay-potted one is displaying normal growth for this species by becoming almost prone instead of vertical. At first I thought it was rotting at the base, but it is sturdy--not showing any weakness. And note all the buds on both crowns. In the past, they've had perhaps two flowers at the most. And this is the first year they will have both bloomed at the same time. My main question is: should the recumbent one be repotted to a more vertical position? I'm not sure it can even be done without harming the cactus itself. Or should I just let it grow however it wants to?
DSC07997.JPG
DSC07997.JPG (83.82 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
DSC07998.JPG
DSC07998.JPG (93.79 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Steve Johnson

Re: Normal growth?

Post by Steve Johnson »

I'd say let your recumbent Parodia grow however it wants. I've tried straightening up cacti that want to lean, but it never works. You really need to do something about that terracotta, though. I have some pretty serious insight into what porous clay does to the roots of our plants, and when I moved a Haworthia attenuata from terracotta to glazed ceramic last weekend, I took the opportunity for shooting a few photos that should make for a good presentation on this subject. Not high on my list of priorities, although I hope to get it up there sooner rather than later. In the meantime...

I highly recommend that you seal your terracotta pots inside and out with UV-resistant acrylic paint. Rustoleum is great, and you can find it at any hardware store. I rarely use terracotta anymore, but when I do, I prefer clear acrylic. However, Rustoleum comes in a number of different colors, so you can take your pick. To get rid of the nasty white residue, soak the pot in water diluted with vinegar for at least an hour, then let it completely dry out before you apply the acrylic.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thanks for these suggestions, Steve. After reading so many negatives about clay pots, I'm in the process of changing them all to plastic or ceramic when I repot. It's a big undertaking, though, and I realize I probably can't do them all at once. Thankfully, the majority of my collection is already in plastic, and I've been buying some ceramic ones on sale because their regular price is more than I want to spend. Two reasons I do like clay pots: 1) they're heavier and don't tip over as easily, and 2) there seems to be more of a variety of sizes and proportions. For example, some of the small cacti have very long tap roots and to put them into a pot that is five or six times wider than the plant itself just to get enough depth for the root system looks ridiculous. Plus, it would contain too much substrate for a miniature cactus and invite rot, I would assume. I think I will try to use some acrylics on the ones that I'm fairly sure I'll have to use in the future. Nice 'talking' with you again and hope we both have a good growing season!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Plants are individuals, but I would say the plant in the plastic pot is probably more turgid since the pot retains water longer, therefore the body is stiffer. However both seem to be simply leaning towards the window where the light is coming from. Also the repotted one may have more active roots now keeping it turgid after repotting.

When many of what are normally globular or short cylindrical plants get tall they do get top heavy since the internal structure will not support them and start to lean over and become decumbent, lying on the ground with just the end turned upwards. You could straighten the right hand one up again when you repot it. Perhaps propping it up with a stick in the pot until it supports itself again.

As to deep pots, you used to be able to get what were called "Long Toms" in the UK for deep rooted plants, both in clay and plastic. But they are not common so you may have to "Google" to find somebody who stocks them..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Long+ ... 6531230462
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

DaveW wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:57 am Plants are individuals, but I would say the plant in the plastic pot is probably more turgid since the pot retains water longer, therefore the body is stiffer. However both seem to be simply leaning towards the window where the light is coming from. Also the repotted one may have more active roots now keeping it turgid after repotting.
I have a confession, Dave. Those cacti were growing in a different location in the greenhouse all winter, and I just moved them where you see them a few days before taking the pictures. I did that mainly so the sun would hit the buds directly and to prop them against the window frame to prevent them from toppling over.

But I do thank you for your information and the suggestion there might be some plastic 'long toms' I could find on line. I already have some small clay 'long toms', but they have never proved successful. They were too small to hold sufficient moisture in the soil before it evaporated through the porous clay.
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

I've used these a few times for small plants with long roots/taproots:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075S ... UTF8&psc=1

They seem to be working out pretty well.