ID of 4 cacti please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
nshershakova

ID of 4 cacti please

Post by nshershakova »

Hello friends! Glad to become a part of this wonderful prickly community. I've got some IDs that I'd really appreciate help with. Pictures are attached; file names are numbered and provide descriptions.

(1) This is the first cactus I have ever owned, named it Prickette. I've been trying to ID this one for the last two years with no luck. The spines are golden in color and soft to the touch (can be petted gently). The trunk is a medium green - not super light but not dark either. The plant is now about 3" tall and I counted 15 ribs in total. The closest ID I could muster is Parodia leninghausii, but that type of cactus has way more ribs and seems to grow thicker. There are 3 pictures, two of the trunk and one a closeup of the top. The first picture gives a better idea of the true color of the trunk.

(2) Carlos is now about 15" tall, obtained a year and a half ago. Pictures show an overall shot and some closeups to show the trunk. It is a darker green but not super dark. I've had people say Cleistocactus but I am not convinced. After looking through the 300+ pictures in the pinned cactus ID post the best I could come up with is Austrocephalocereus estevesii, but still not sure. If it helps, it was a Colasanti plant (I live in Canada).

(3) Juan - spine growth similar to Carlos but body is a light green versus a dark green. It grows quite slowly.

(4) I'm almost positive that this is a Mammillaria backebergiana but would like a second opinion.

Thanks so much, I look forward to your ideas. Sorry for the cheesy cactus names.
Attachments
(1a) Prickette 1.jpg
(1a) Prickette 1.jpg (70.05 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
(1b) Prickette 2.jpg
(1b) Prickette 2.jpg (85.53 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
(1c) Prickette tip closeup.jpg
(1c) Prickette tip closeup.jpg (85.44 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
(2a) Carlos overall shot.jpg
(2a) Carlos overall shot.jpg (98.94 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
(2b) Carlos stem closeup.jpg
(2b) Carlos stem closeup.jpg (77.44 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
(2c) Carlos tip closeup.jpg
(2c) Carlos tip closeup.jpg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
(3) Juan.jpg
(3) Juan.jpg (70.64 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
(4) Mammillaria backebergiana.jpg
(4) Mammillaria backebergiana.jpg (94.07 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
7george

Re: ID of 4 cacti please

Post by 7george »

1) Parodia leninghausii;
2) maybe Cleistocactus strausii
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
nshershakova

Post by nshershakova »

7george wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:38 am 1) Parodia leninghausii;
2) maybe Cleistocactus strausii
Hi, thank you for your reply!
The fact that Parodia leninghausiis typically have around 30 ribs (according to several internet source and looking at many pictures), but mine has only 15. The spikes definitely appear to be very similar - golden in color and soft to the touch. How can it be that it has only half the number of ribs?
Tavey

Post by Tavey »

Hi there, I am not very sure about the others, but after recently going on an "ID mission" myself, I actually came to the exact same conclusion about one of my cacti which I also believe is a Mammillaria backebergiana. It looks the same as yours but lets see what others think! :) Photos Attached
Attachments
thumbnail_1571521060773.jpg
thumbnail_1571521060773.jpg (93.54 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
thumbnail_1571521343369.jpg
thumbnail_1571521343369.jpg (70.25 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
nshershakova

Post by nshershakova »

Tavey wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:54 pm Hi there, I am not very sure about the others, but after recently going on an "ID mission" myself, I actually came to the exact same conclusion about one of my cacti which I also believe is a Mammillaria backebergiana. It looks the same as yours but lets see what others think! :) Photos Attached
Hi, thank you for sharing your photos of your Mammillaria!
Mine, unlike yours, has never grown buds on the bottom, it has remained solitary. It definitely looks exactly the same shape as mine, but I'm wondering if you've ever seen any reddish brown spines on yours. From all the Google photos it seems that reddish brown spins (mostly at the top where the new growth is) is a defining characteristic of the Mammillaria backebergiana. Has your cactus ever flowered?
Tavey

Post by Tavey »

Hmm, that is a good point! I dont believe I ever saw brown/reddish spines on the top... mine seem to be more at the bottom but I am not sure if that is just dust! As for the blooms, it has bloomed in the past although where it lived before it was tucked away in a corner and did not notice the flowers until they were long gone.. all that was left was some shrivelled up crusties :( There were at the top however, not at the bottom. Maybe it is slightly different species now that you mention the brown spines?
7george

Post by 7george »

Hi, there, cacti lovers;
Keep in mind that ribs' number and overall look of the plants change with age and between varieties. Also cultivated plants look different from those in their native habitats. Plants pictured above are relatively young and without flowers, fruits and other features is hard to nail the exact species.
For cacti # 3) and even 2) I also suspect some Haageocereus sp. or even Weberbauerocereus but can't be sure at this time.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
nshershakova

Post by nshershakova »

7george wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:24 pm Hi, there, cacti lovers;
Keep in mind that ribs' number and overall look of the plants change with age and between varieties. Also cultivated plants look different from those in their native habitats. Plants pictured above are relatively young and without flowers, fruits and other features is hard to nail the exact species.
For cacti # 3) and even 2) I also suspect some Haageocereus sp. or even Weberbauerocereus but can't be sure at this time.
Hi 7george,
I think you hit the nail on the head for 2) and 3). The cleistocactus strausii has silvery hairs and probably not what 2) is, but the Haageocereus and Weberbauerocereus look VERY spot on, I'll have to look into it further. We might have a winner. Thanks a bunch!!!
Ferocactus57

Post by Ferocactus57 »

1. Could also be a etiolated parodia magnifica. I would actually lean more to this because like you said rib count is very low compared to normal parodia leninghausii.
nshershakova

Post by nshershakova »

Ferocactus57 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:34 pm 1. Could also be a etiolated parodia magnifica. I would actually lean more to this because like you said rib count is very low compared to normal parodia leninghausii.
How about parodia warasii??? I feel like the ribs on the parodia magnifica are too large/deep. I think some of the photos of parodia warasii look a lot more similar to Prickette than leninghausii or magnifica.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

What is certain is that Prickette got etiolated early on and developed a more elongated shape than normal. This makes identification more difficult. Keep it in good light and see how it develops, it should be clear what it is in a year or two.
Spence :mrgreen:
Ferocactus57

Post by Ferocactus57 »

nshershakova wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:12 pm How about parodia warasii??? I feel like the ribs on the parodia magnifica are too large/deep. I think some of the photos of parodia warasii look a lot more similar to Prickette than leninghausii or magnifica.
That is entirely possible. Actually had just forgotten about warasii. Greenknight has it right though, best bet is to get it into proper lighting let it grow for a year or so. Should be much easier to tell then.