Wouldn't Location would help with identity, yes?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

Re: Wouldn't Location would help with identity, yes?

Post by Steve Johnson »

Revised announcements are up, so members are now aware that they have the choice of putting location info into their profiles, signatures, or both. By the way, Shane -- your Hardiness Zone number is 10b, so you may want to add it to your location.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Hardiness Zone Numbers mean nothing to those outside the USA Steve, so maybe this link detailing what they mean would help those replying from outside the USA, or those within the USA that do not know their number?

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
7george

Post by 7george »

I am a desktop guy too. But more important is that it is less likely for me to be helping someone whose location I know nothing about.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

DaveW wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:04 pm Hardiness Zone Numbers mean nothing to those outside the USA Steve, so maybe this link detailing what they mean would help those replying from outside the USA, or those within the USA that do not know their number?

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
Agreed, and I just added this to my announcements:
Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:19 amBy the way, if you need to determine your Hardiness Zone number and/or you'd like to know what those numbers mean, go to this link:

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
I've had the USDA link in these announcements from the get-go, the only thing missing was telling people that the website includes an explanation of the numbers. That oversight has now been corrected. However, I noticed a small problem with the site's mainpage -- you can barely see the numbers in the temperature data table on the righthand side. But if you click on the interactive map tab, those numbers are much easier to see. I may need to add a P.S. to that effect in my announcements.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Shane

Post by Shane »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:29 am By the way, Shane -- your Hardiness Zone number is 10b, so you may want to add it to your location.
Thanks Steve
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
MitchellM

Post by MitchellM »

Different people are comfortable with different levels of privacy. Nothing should be mandatory but something about their climate would be relevant if they are seeking advice about outdoor plants.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Location is also useful regarding indoor plants, partly for cultivation reasons, and partly to know what plants may be available to purchase in a particular region.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti