"Cacti of Unusual Color" -Contest Number 3

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
daiv
Site Admin

"Cacti of Unusual Color" -Contest Number 3

Post by daiv »

Voting has started for this Contest. Here is a link to the Poll: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1131

This time, Bill (ich6480) chose the category:

Bill suggested the focus of this contest should be on the fascinating body or stems of cacti and not on the flowers.
ihc6480 wrote:Just figured cacti of unusual color would be good. This will at least focus on the cactus itself instead of the blooms.
EXCEPTION: This contest should not include pictures of grafted G. mihanovichii or E. chamacereus which cannot survive on their own.

See this link for examples of exclusions:
http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/N23/mih-e.htm
If you have a plant that is listed on the above website, it should not be included in this contest. (This does not mean we find anything wrong with those species, but that the grafted, non-chlorophyll types have an unfair (man-made) advantage.

Instead, look for cacti with stems that are the most intriguing color you can find. If you don't have an image that fits this contest, that is OK, you will be one of the voters!

Post all your pictures for "Cacti of Unusual Color" -Contest Number 3 in this thread.

Contest will run from March 12 through March 26

You have Until March 19, 2006 to enter a picture in the contest. (Note: This is only a one week entry period and not two weeks as in previous contests.)

Voting will be from March 20 to March 26

There have been no changes to the Contest Rules, but please review this post for the contest rules: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=888
Last edited by daiv on Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Here is my submission. Pilosocereus pachyclaudus at C&J Cactus Nursery. I love this shot because it has lots of features: Blue stems, purple Buds, creamy-blue flowers, fresh fruit, and mature fruit.

All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Nice blue, indeed... I'm going to be in pink this time with Echinocereus pectinatus (ascension). It's a small plant that is 2 inch wide and never flowered yet, but I like the pink effect...
Dominique
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Unusual color is often a point of view. I have seen many plants in collections and on the show bench that barely resemble the habitat plant. A common case is that of Turbinicarpus that are mostly grown as round green balls. Especially those freshly bought from the volume producers.

What is even more confusing to the beginner is the expert or judge that looks at one of those green balls and says "healthy, well grown" meanwhile dismissing a more representative plant as "burned, starved, etc"

If you like the "grown hard" look, the colors of T. polaskii really come out and are to me, usual, but unusual to see.

GeneS -dgimages
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

well... I have a few G. mihanovichii, but if they're over rules, here is an Echinopsis silvestri hybrid, it's green alright, but unusual green, I hope it counts. :)

Visit my cacti blog:

http://www.cactus.blogger.ba
aubonjardin

HELP with posting an image

Post by aubonjardin »

Here is my entry...an Echinocactus Ingens that I grew from seed. Love the Lime Green colour, thick ribbing and purple vein-like markings. One of my favourites and almost more beautiful when NOT in bloom. BTW, this contest 3 theme is an interesting one being that it focuses on the plant itself.
Last edited by aubonjardin on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Would love to hear from other enthusiasts - aubonjardin@yahoo.com

THANKS!
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi All!

This is my submission - Gymnocalycium (probably) anisitsii. Normally it is almost completely green, but when over-exposed to strong sunlight or when kept completely dry during the winter months it becomes almost completely brown. This picture, showing both colours was taken in late spring:

Cheers,

Eduart
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

I have a number of 'coloured' cacti and a special Astrophytum, I had sent by Miguel, from Spain, but I have not photographed it as yet. So here is an old faithful, but still one I regard as rather special (to me at least).

Sulcorebutia rauschi

John
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Here's my Rebutia canigueralii (used to be Sulcorebutia rauschii). We've had such cold weather (for us) that the blooms have just gone into rest mode.
Buck Hemenway
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hi all :D

Well you didn'y say cristates weren't acceptable so here's my entry. A Cereus spegazzinii crest showing it's winter colors. In summer it's a beautiful mottled blue.

Franj

Bill in SC

Cereus aethiops

Post by Bill in SC »

These are all tough acts to follow. I had a heap of color to choose from, but decided to submit an entry for color contrast rather than exotic color. Here is Cereus aethiops. It is a lime green color with jet black spination..
Bill in SC

Deefar

Post by Deefar »

Here is my Ferocactus pilosus. I chose this for it's unusually red and green colors. In the summer sun it turns completely red including the spines.

Thanks,
Dawn
gunhat

Post by gunhat »

'Metallica'

We live in western Norway - as far north as Anchorage - Alaska, and have far more days with rain then with sun. So we can't produce nice blue pilososcerei or white copiopas.

Rebutia heliosa have lots of tiny spines completly covering the plant. This and the brown areoles gives a metallic impression.
cactusveda

cacti of unusual colour contest

Post by cactusveda »

am from western India.i have joined this group recently.hope you all will enjoy watching an astrophytum of good size.i love its greyish white colour with a dotted appearance.isnt the shape unusual too?