Hello

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
njcactus

Hello

Post by njcactus »

Hello, I just joined after lurking here for a while. I've learned a lot on this forum already. It just saved the lives of my two lonely Lithops, for example :lol:
I've got interested in C&S about two years ago, and now I have about 200 plants, mostly cacti, also some Euphorbia, Aeoniums, Haworthia and a little of everything else. I am running out of window space, so I've got few hardy cactus outdoors. I'll try to post a picture.Image

This is after snow melted:Image

I am trying to grow from seed too. So far, there are about a dozen 7mo old survivors, mostly from common cactus seed mix and Cleistocactus mix. Just bought more seeds (Pachypodium and cacti) to plant this winter.
A lot of my cacti have noID, I hope to get help with IDs here. :wink:

Elena
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Hello. Welcome to the forums. :D :hello2: Feel free to ask a lot of questions and show us many to identify.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Elena,
welcome to the cactus and succulent forum. It looks like you are doing as well or even better than some of us "experienced growers". I personally do have a dismal record for seed grown cacti, but I also do not try very hard to raise a lot of seedling plants. Your hardy cactus collection looks good. They can most likely remain in their pot for a while longer, except perhaps for the larger plant to the right in the rear. Is that some kind of Echinocereus?
Once again, welcome! It is always nice to have an additional forum member. :D

Harald
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hello Elena :hello2:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
peterb

Post by peterb »

Beautiful outdoor hardy planter! I always like seeing cacti and snow in the same photo, kind of miss it now that I live in Phoenix.

I'll take a guess at all the plants in there, just for fun...and since it's a rainy day here in AZ.

at "9 o'clock", going clockwise, a couple small Cylindropuntia imbricata. The spiny Echinocereus at about 1 o'clock looks like triglochidiatus "White Sands." Then at about 4 o'clock is E. viridiflorus, with Echinocereus reichenbachii in the center, then at about 5 o'clock is Escobaria vivipara, and then Echinocereus triglochidiatus fa. inermis, and then what looks like another Echinocereus viridiflorus.

How did I do? And did you purchase at least some of your plants from High Country Gardens?

anyway, welcome!

peterb
Zone 9
John C

Post by John C »

Welcome to the forums, from John in Dallas/Fort worth, Texas! Nice cold hardy garden! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Elena! Nice to see you growing indoor and outdoor species.

So you went from 0-200 in two years? Sounds like a good pace! :thumbleft:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

Welcome! :)

200 plants? You must have a lot of window space! :lol:
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
njcactus

Post by njcactus »

Hey all, thanks for welcomes!
They can most likely remain in their pot for a while longer, except perhaps for the larger plant to the right in the rear. Is that some kind of Echinocereus?
Harald, this is Echinocereus triglochidiatus, it does look a little too vigorous for this planter, but I don't have outdoor bed for it (yet).
at "9 o'clock", going clockwise, a couple small Cylindropuntia imbricata. The spiny Echinocereus at about 1 o'clock looks like triglochidiatus "White Sands." Then at about 4 o'clock is E. viridiflorus, with Echinocereus reichenbachii in the center, then at about 5 o'clock is Escobaria vivipara, and then Echinocereus triglochidiatus fa. inermis, and then what looks like another Echinocereus viridiflorus.

How did I do? And did you purchase at least some of your plants from High Country Gardens?
Hi Peterb, you did pretty good! Top plant is E. triglochidiatus, but I am not sure about ssp. or cv. name. I got it from nursery in NV, must be hardy. 4 o'clock is E.viridiflorus ssp. viridiflorus, at the center is E. reichenbachii baileyi (white spines), then Escobaria vivipara and E.t. inermis indeed, and the last one is E. reichenbachii HK1228. I got them all from Miles2go, except Cylindropuntia cuttings, which came from NV too. Small one looks like C.imbricata, but the larger one is different (I was so happy that they let me get these cuttings, that I forgot to write down the names . :roll:
I am planning to get few plants from High Country Gardens, what would you recommend? They seem to be a little too optimistic about the hardiness Zones.
So you went from 0-200 in two years? Sounds like a good pace!
Daiv, this is a scary pace, and it is getting faster yet! Anyway, I blame the internet :lol:
You must have a lot of window space!
CelticRose, I am using windows at work too! Actually, most of my plants are still rather small, wait till they all grow!

Nice to meet you all :D
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

njcactus wrote: Anyway, I blame the internet :lol:
Oh i hear you there, ebay is my home.. :wink: :P :D

Hello Elena :wave: WELCOME hope you enjoy it here. Cact & succulents its an addiction for sure.. :D
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
peterb

Post by peterb »

I haven't looked at the High Country Gardens catalogue in a long time, but I used to work there. I think some of the optimism about zones comes from assuming a dry climate garden, maybe not NJ so much. :-) I'd agree that some of the plants they sell as zone 5 or whatever would definitely need to be kept dry somehow over the winter.

peterb
Zone 9