Contest 38: Discussion & Related Photos

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
CoronaCactus

Contest 38: Discussion & Related Photos

Post by CoronaCactus »

Please discuss and post related photos for Contest 38: Halloween Special - Dead Plants here.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

I thought about using one of these two. Also from the "Quiver Tree Forest". Lots of juvenile plants and several very old dead ones. A fantastic wonderland of HUGE succulents. It is amazing how little that big old tree weighs.

Aloe Dichotoma, Yvonne and Buck

Buck Hemenway
Tony

Post by Tony »

Amazing! 8)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Cool! 8)
John C

Post by John C »

Very cool pics! :)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Quiver tree forest looks amazing!

I pulled this quote from my entry:
3rd year it has done this...(more for the Halloween theme than actually dead plant - you decide if it is a valid entry.

Because other photos also did not seem totally dead...

A fun theme, thanks.

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I'm sorry Shmuel but even though it does "look" dead, technically it does not qualify.

I have included it as a display photo in the voting thread. :)
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

:crybaby:
I fully understand, Darryl. Maybe I can use it in a "Waking from Dormancy" theme contest.

Alas, it is too late for me to post a new entry, so please don't wait too long for the next contest - I need to win some labels for my growing collection. :thumbleft:

Shmuel
Amazing cacti!
tinsel

Post by tinsel »

Poor babies...

After I lost almost all epiphytes because of a disease somebody mailed me with cuttings (virus/bacteria/fungus - no knowledge of which one), this is an acute topic for last two years. The worst is over, but there are only a few plants left :sad4: - I understood too late what was going on :crybaby: and was able to backup only some of the antique plant cuttings. :crybaby: Somebody local made a really nasty trick...

Beware of blackish cover or blisters on stems.
:sad11:
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Deadline has passed and looks like a tie between Dustin and Buck!! Congrats

Hey Daiv we both got the big goose egg :oops:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Andy_CT wrote: Hey Daiv we both got the big goose egg :oops:
That we did! I really didn't think my picture would win, but I think everyone should participate - even if they don't have an *outstanding* picture for the topic. If nothing else, it enhances the ones that do win.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Paracelsus

A plea for objectivity

Post by Paracelsus »

Goose eggs are a badge of honor. It means you didn't vote for yourself. :shock:

At the risk of being flame-broiled alive, I'd like to note that the 'best' picture, using the official criteria for these contests, is often a loser. These contests are marred by a low degree of objectivity, and a high degree of self-aggrandizing subjectivity. If the 'best' picture loses, it does nothing to enhance the often terrible photographs that do win. They are still crappy.

I don't submit entries anymore, but I still vote, and my judgement is most often different than the popular role call. How can anyone seriously call the two winners in this current contest equivalent? One is a good photograph of large and extraordinarily beautiful long-dead succulent tree trunks in a far-away habitat, the other an off-kilter flash picture of a forgotten dessicated potted cactus found in a cardboard box in a garage. And once again, there is an obvious bias in favor of anything cactus, so we end up calling this contest a draw. Yeah, right.

These are the official judging criteria that I suspect many have never bothered to read:

- Quality of the picture (technique)
- Originality (moment or the species of cacti)
- Composition (a cacti in landscape or a particular situation)
- Relevance (how well the picture represents the theme)

I give the 'Quiver Tree Forest' image a 8-10-10-10 for 38/40 points, an average of 95%.

The dead Schlumbergera gets a 2-2-2-10 which is only 16/40 points or 40%.

I actually thought this one was a no-contest contest, and am truly mystified by the voting in these contests. If folks would actually judge by the official criteria, and not automatically vote for their own submission, then maybe these contests would have more meaning, be more fun, and have more contestants. As it is, I'll vote, but I won't play.

Brad
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

THe quickest way to make these photo contests no fun is to take them too seriously. I believe you have managed to do that :wink:
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

The topic was dead plants as a Halloween theme.

It was for fun. How can anyone complain?

When I saw the Quiver Forest pic it was breathtaking.
When I saw the dead Shlumbergera shot - I laughed out loud - it was a perfect entry for the theme.

If the theme was "dead cactus" - without the Halloween spin you would be right.

No offense, Brad, and I do see where you are coming from.

Shmuel
Last edited by Shmuel on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amazing cacti!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Brad,
I'm sad to hear that you don't want to submit anymore to the contests. I always liked your pictures.

I see what you are saying and it isn't without merit, but then I look at the past winners on this page: http://www.cactiguide.com/contest/ and think that the disconnect you are mentioning is not quite as bad as you make it sound.

This site is a cactus site and not a photography site. So the contest reflects that. While some of the people here are totally amazing photographers, many are not and aren't trying to be either. So the contest themes and voting structure are more balanced so that more people can have fun with it.

GeneS is one of the more technical and skilled photographers here and he alone has won 5 times out of 37 contests. Buck also has 2 wins compared to Dustin with zero! In this contest, I voted for Dustin because of all the entries, his struck me as dead dead dead! In this purposely "silly" topic, the worse the photo the better. (no offense Dustin) I didn't vote for Bucks because it looked too good for me. If his entry was the "stump" picture in this thread, I'd have been more likely to choose his entry. For this contest - think Adams Family.

On the more "serious" contests, I still don't see how the winning pictures are that undeserving.

Above anything else, we want to keep the contests fun and the more people that post AND vote, the more fun it is. It is a way to see a bunch of related photos that reflect the diversity and creativity of the members (sounds like I should be on PBS).

All that being said, I do like the math you came up with for voting:
- Quality of the picture (technique)
- Originality (moment or the species of cacti)
- Composition (a cacti in landscape or a particular situation)
- Relevance (how well the picture represents the theme)

I give the 'Quiver Tree Forest' image a 8-10-10-10 for 38/40 points, an average of 95%.

The dead Schlumbergera gets a 2-2-2-10 which is only 16/40 points or 40%.
It wouldn't hurt to suggest this method to voters on the voting page. It would help me when I'm torn between two pictures as is often the case.

I hope my long-winded response causes you to reconsider your entering in the next contest. Even if you don't win I guarantee there are folks who like seeing your pictures!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti